Really need help with my HD partitions! Please read...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by i-am-waiting, Jul 10, 2010.

1. i-am-waiting macrumors member

Hey people, im new to this forum... im usually on iPtF... (peebrian202869)

Anyways, this is the thing;

I tried bootcamp and tried making a partition and booted into it before i even owned any copy of windows, i was a bit stupid back then, and now it wont let me delete the partition or install windows XP or 7. Is there anyway to force restore the whole HD and restore all partitions, like restoring to factory settings type thing, then restore from a Time Machine backup? I can backup easily as i have a 1TB external and i really want to get rid of this partition so i can make bigger one then install windows.

When i try to install windows XP is says 'windows cannot be installed on this partition' and i cant install windows 7 because there isn't enough space! :(

Thanks for taking your time to read this and any help will be highly appreciated! Thanks! :) :apple:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. i-am-waiting thread starter macrumors member

Cool, thanks so much! I'm just backing up now... which will take a while... then erase my HD, i've booted into the install disk ALOT, im not that noobie... :p Are you sure the only way is to erase everything? Thanks though! :D

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

One never knows, and maybe someone else might find this thread, if proper search tools are used. :)

It seems that way. You could also just use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone your internal HDD to an external, boot from the external, erase the partitions and format a new partition, clone back and you're good to go with Boot Camp Assistant.

5. i-am-waiting thread starter macrumors member

Since that last part meant nothing to me, i'll just do it your first way! Thanks so much, its been like this for ages... :p

6. i-am-waiting thread starter macrumors member

Now windows wont install, after partitioning i then tried installing my windows XP and my windows 7, neither will work! How can i format it as NFTS ?

My XP just makes it then re-boot (after the install) and says 'disk error, press any button to restart'! Please help me, i've heard that Mac's cant write to NFTS partitions, how would that be a downside/impossibility/upside ? Thanks again!