Really need help with RAM!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BlindSoul, Aug 17, 2011.

1. BlindSoul macrumors 6502

Hello,

I have an iMac 2011 21.5" and im trying to install my new Corsair RAM 8 Giga but im having issues with it. When im trying to install the Ram i dont hear any
    Click and if i just insert it the ram box barley closes. I did push them very hard!
    I was wondering , is there a need to first remove the ram i already have inside and then insert first the new ram and then the old one? If so how can i take out the old ram? Ive tried pushing out that black plug but it do nothing.
    Ease help me here!

Thank you!

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Remove one of the existing modules to make sure you are inserting the new ram in the right direction. Once you are certain of that make sure you are inserting the new module in the grooved slot it's supposed to align with and firmly insert the ram. There is no click but the top of the new ram should be even with the top of the existing ram.

Cheers,

3. BlindSoul, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

They are not even and i cant to take out the old ram
    Edit: Ok i suucceed taking them all out but now i cant insert them back omg

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

They can be hard to insert. As long as you're sure which direction they are going in you will need to press firmly. i brought my imac to the edge of the desk (so I could look up into the slots), angled the screen and used both thumbs to shove them into place.

Cheers,

5. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks i succeed inserting them but he keeps beeping me what can be the reason?? :(

6. rj86 macrumors member

Beeping could be either bad or no ram detected (depends on how many beeps). Reseat the sticks (take it out and put it back in again firmly) and see what happens.

7. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

3 beeps every like 10 secs
    PRAM reset or anything like that wont help?

8. mrmicp macrumors member

They are hard to push in...... are you getting anything on screen?

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you buy the correct ram?

Perhaps the new ram is defective, replace the new ram modules with the old ones to see if the that resolves the problem

Edit:
    Also make sure you line up Pin 1 to the correct pin1 on the logic board. There should be a little cutout on one side of the modules that corresponds to a tab on the logicboard

10. BlindSoul, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

If I succeed closing the RAM box doesn't it mean they're inserted correctly? I really did push hard till they actually got even. Now they're even.
    and I installed it that way:
    iMac
    OLD RAM 2GB OLD RAM 2GB
    NEW RAM 4GB NEW RAM 4GB​

Thank you so much for trying to help me.

Edit: This is the RAM i've bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The seller told me it will work on my iMac!

11. mrmicp macrumors member

as maflynn said... Can you get your old RAM to work?

12. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I Just now removed the new RAM and i'm on my old RAM only and it works.
    and when I start up the iMac with new ram and old ram together it shows black screen and then 3 beeps. So the guy who asked, No there's no screen. :(

13. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

My guess would be the guy either lied to you and that RAM wasn't designed for mac or it's faulty RAM. Does it say somewhere on the package what the pin number of the RAM is? iMac RAM should be 204 pin but most PC RAM, for instance, is 240 pin. This would cause the RAM not to work.

While PC's can be built with pretty much anything, macs are very picky in what RAM you put in them. My guess is the RAM you bought it's compatible and the guy either didn't know or was simply lying to you.

Mac RAM that's tested on macs and guaranteed to work can be bought from new egg
    http://www.newegg.ca/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=551&name=Mac-Memory

Or from macsales
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/

Or a few other places but those are usually the best two.

Edit: Just read through the description more an this is 204 pin RAM but there could be other issues. As I said, macs are really picky for RAM. Chances are the seller assumed it would work but without having tested the product there is never a guarantee.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Basically if the old ram works but the new ram modules don't then there's something wrong with the new modules. I'd contact the seller and get a refund and/or replacement. Being ebay, you may need to file for a chargeback on paypal if you don't hear back from him.

15. The-Pro macrumors 65816

maybe try different slots for the RAM. New RAM in the slots where the old was, old in the other two. Maybe you dammed the slots or something.

16. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

There's a very noticeable different between 240pin and 204pin so of course if I would buy a 240 pin it wouldn't even get into my iMac. So obviously I did buy 204pin.
    Do you guys know any way I can check if they really are fault or not?

thank you very much.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes an extremely easy process. Put the ram in the computer,if it beeps fails to boot up and your old ram does boot up then its bad ram. Kind of like many of us have been saying.

18. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Please note my edit, I realized that. What I'm saying though is even if the RAM is designed the same, it may not work. Macs are picky with their RAM.

And yeah, as maflynn just stated, chances are it is the RAM. If it works with just the original ones but not with the new ones then I think it should be obvious. You could try what The-Pro suggested but I doubt it's the connection. Chances are the seller mis-lead you into believing he had tested the RAM on mac when he clearly did not.

19. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay so I did check each RAM and it seems like only one works and the other one doesn't, So currently I have 8GB. I will let the seller know, He might be sending me a new one. I love eBay support! :)

20. The-Pro macrumors 65816