Really need this question answered about Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by G.T., Nov 12, 2010.

1. G.T. macrumors 6502a

Hi

I have tried google, but I'm now resorting to macrumors.

Basically the I updated to 10.6.5 and updated to the latest Java. The problem I now have is with some statistics software called SPSS, it can't render graphs anymore because of the java update.

I've been struggling trying to fix the problem and I can't get it to work.

If I revert back in time machine will it change the system files back so that my software will work again??

Would it be better to do a clean erase and restore from time machine, do I need to use my SL disk for this?

Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, well was the Java update built into the OSX update? Since it is the Java update that caused the problem will reverting back put the java version back. Having 10.6.5 isn't an issue.

Thanks in advanced

4. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

The 10.6.5 update and the java update are unrelated AFAIK. You may be able to use your time machine backup to restore. It appears the JVM is kept in the directory "/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A", so check your backup and see if you have a earlier version of this directory to restore.

By the way, have you checked with IBM support regarding this issue? They may have another way to attack the problem.

5. G.T., Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was going to, will maybe have a look at that again.
    Although I'm going to have to revert back now, cause I'm an idiot :(. Basically it was being slow and looked like it froze as it was calculating how long restore would be so I cancelled and it messed up a few settings. So think I will do a fresh install. I haven't done one since getting my laptop so might as well.

Do I just put in the SL disk and have my TM hard drive plugged in, then it will do an erase and restore?

Also if a file has be edited but not removed will it put the older version back?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can do a full system recovery with Time Machine, its slow and you'll need to boot off the install disk but its possible.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Okay, but only if you haven't run Time Machine after the update I guess.
    As I haven't done a restore from TM, does the installation offer a certain date to restore from or does it use the last TM backup?

8. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

yep.

see this user tip.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Danke sehr. Und TypeIt4Me ist immer noch in Benutzung, but maybe you might like to take a look at TextEpander?

10. Jolly Giant, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

sweet !

i also got the iOS version for my iPod Touch/iPad. (still trying to figure out how to sync snippet groups between the Mac and the mobile app). <- edit: got that figured out !

thanks for the tip.

ps: also very nice is the dropbox integration ...

11. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK well it looks like I have fixed the system issues. And have a patch for SPSS which I will try soon.