Really needs a 13” MBP now , what to do?

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
369
237
My old Mac died , I really need a 13” MacBook Pro for my work, but it seems a serious update and possible all redesign is coming very soon,but I don’t think I can wait for 2 months..

What my best course of action here?

would buying the base model and then selling it when a new model is coming out is a good idea? How much should I expect to lose on that ? ( I can get it with edu discount so about $150 cheaper)
 

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
1,745
1,448
USA
Costco has the 13in model for $250 off right now. Buy it at a discount now and you should be able to recoup most (Obviously not all as there will be some depreciation) of your cost if you sell when a new model is introduced.
Agreed. I was able to grab that same deal at Best Buy during their Black Friday sale. That's a lot of money saved and I'd grab it again if I needed it right now.
 

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
369
237
Costco has the 13in model for $250 off right now. Buy it at a discount now and you should be able to recoup most (Obviously not all as there will be some depreciation) of your cost if you sell when a new model is introduced.
Wish I could! But I am not from the US
 

ascender

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2005
3,209
1,145
I'm in the exact same position as you and have just picked up a second hand 2018 model from eBay - if you're patient you can get a decent spec for OK money meaning you shouldn't lose much money if you do decide to sell and get a new one later this year.
 

maflynn

Moderator
Staff member
May 3, 2009
66,662
33,510
Boston
What my best course of action here?
Buy one - not to sound coy, but if need one, then your hands are tied and so your best bet is to buy one now.

Do you want to try the used market for a low end (or older) Mac to tied you over until the refresh comes (who knows when that will be) or just bite the bullet now?

If it were me, I'd probably bite the bullet and buy one now if I had to get a laptop
 

serpico007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2017
149
116
Check your local craigslist for a used model if your heart is in buying the next gen model. Don't buy what is available from Apple and pay taxes because you'll never see all that money when you sell it. There are so many good deals for used Mac's. You may luck out with one that is in excellent condition. I always keep my boxes and take care of my stuff for the next owner.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Abaganov

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
5,798
2,907
SF Bay Area
My old Mac died , I really need a 13” MacBook Pro for my work, but it seems a serious update and possible all redesign is coming very soon,but I don’t think I can wait for 2 months..

What my best course of action here?

would buying the base model and then selling it when a new model is coming out is a good idea? How much should I expect to lose on that ? ( I can get it with edu discount so about $150 cheaper)
You can always buy a used 13" to tide you over and sell it when something new ships. The used prices have dropped in anticipation of a replacement 13"/14" along the lines of the new 16".
 
  • Like
Reactions: Abaganov

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2017
650
1,044
Western Europe
My old Mac died , I really need a 13” MacBook Pro for my work, but it seems a serious update and possible all redesign is coming very soon,but I don’t think I can wait for 2 months..

What my best course of action here?

would buying the base model and then selling it when a new model is coming out is a good idea? How much should I expect to lose on that ? ( I can get it with edu discount so about $150 cheaper)
Lease or rent one until the new model is available. I don't know what country you are from, but in most countries this should be possible.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Abaganov
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.