Really odd internet issue.

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by allafloat, Dec 3, 2015.

1. allafloat macrumors newbie

I'm really baffled by something going on with a friend's Ipad he's asked me to help with. He's a member of a dating site (match.com) and while browsing yesterday morning a pop up window saying he'd won an iphone6 appeared. Of course the screen froze, and the only way he knew of getting the thing to clear was to tap 'OK'. And down that hole Alice disappeared... He closed Chrome and then returned only to find the popup ready and waiting to play. Now every time he goes to that site - via either Chrome or Safari - the same thing happens.

He brought his ipad mini to me. I cleared the cache, cookies and web history, and updated the OS to 9. Still the problem persisted. He took it to a local computer shop, and they said nothing was wrong and that all pop up blockers etc. were active. On bringing it back with the same issues I suggested we uninstall Chrome and add Firefox. This we did and, within a minute of logging into the troublesome website, there was the pop up on firefox. We reinstalled Chrome, and there it was again. It's doing my head in and, even after hours trawling the internet, I've no idea what to try.

Unfortunately match.com don't offer any technical support.

I'd be very grateful for any thoughts or suggestions.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. allafloat thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting that nobody can offer help with this, but I"m pleased to say Gav2K's advice was welcomed.

4. Ghostbuster386 macrumors regular

Ghostbuster386

It does seem to be an issue with Match.com. Are you able to test it from another device?

5. allafloat thread starter macrumors newbie

I've not checked it with any of my bits of kit, but that's because the last thing I need is some sort of issue I don't know how to sort. I would have thought if others were suffering similarly then the size of match.com's membership would make the problem very public.

Tis an anomaly methinks.

6. allafloat, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015

allafloat thread starter macrumors newbie

Aagh! Bloody thing's now on my ipad when using Google! My friend's not been near my ipad, but he has has been on and off my wifi network several times.

I've put an image of what's appearing below. And when it does Safari tries to connect to somewhere and freezes.

All very strange.

IMG_0237.PNG

Update. I've now done a factory reset on the router I use. And the problem continues.

7. allafloat thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, latest update.

Turns out my mate ran through the options on the popup when it first came up (it was the only way he knew of getting rid of it). He gave his apple id. Hearing this I wiped his ipad, and set up a new apple id. Everything was re-installed anew. The first time we went to match.com on the new set up the same bloody pop up instantly launched itself. The air turned a little blue.

I'd be grateful for any help...

8. riferrarr macrumors newbie

riferrarr

When you Reset Safari, were all the browser apps still open or did you close them by swiping them up?

9. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Be sure to check for any plugins, particularly for Wordpress, for both Safari, and Chrome.

Is there no way in Chrome to "Clear History and Website data"?

10. allafloat, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015

allafloat thread starter macrumors newbie

@rifearr - closed by swiping up. Then turned off wifi (using airport) cleared all history etc, restarted safari - it prompted me to turn on internet. And there's the pop up. Interesting thing is that even though history should be completely clear, both match.com and google are present though with 0kb showing.

@DeltaMac - chrome's horrible: to clear history you have to access it from the front screen, and that's denied by the popup. So we delete and reinstall the whole app.

The problem seems to be something to do with match.com - it's much worse on that site than any other. As suggested way above their apps now been added so at least the loving can continue.

11. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

So, my guess it's something else you have installed. Not Chrome, per se, but internet related - some other app that has settings to keep you connected and current - Maybe you will get some progress in the Privacy settings ... Perhaps something provided by the wonderful folks @ Google. I'm just guessing, of course - I don't know anything about what else you might have installed that works for you, yet keeps track of (some of ) your internet history, even though you would like it cleared completely.

12. allafloat thread starter macrumors newbie

Odd thing is that we installed a bare ios with no apps other than chrome. Even odder is that match.com seems to work when we go to it through yahoo.

Head fried!

13. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Do you get a similar re-direct (or popup) if you go to match.com on OS X?
    Could be a site-related issue. Maybe customer care at match.com can provide a possible answer. They are apparently only available by email, from the FAQ links.

14. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

What is your internet service? From the message, seems like the redirect could be coming from there.

15. allafloat thread starter macrumors newbie

@ Deltamac - I've not risked my macbook near match.com. But it is running on the same network and appears to be unscathed. And I used clamxav overnight to check all files on the macbook and found nothing to be concerned about. So it seems to be an IOS issue.

@Mr. Buzzcut - It's happening on both Vodafone and 3 mobile. All browsers - chrome, safari and firefox - seem to suffer equally. I've opened a thread on boards.ie where 3's help is meant to happen. The only post is from a vodafone customer suffering the same since this afternoon.

16. JonSarge3108 macrumors regular

JonSarge3108

Barebones iOS, don't install Chrome and use Safari to go to Match.com

Same issue?

Given you can't happily reset Chrome settings and some data may persist through iCloud or some other mechanism this seems the logical next check ?