Really Odd problem -- Genius Bar Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NDimichino, Dec 26, 2008.

1. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Alright, I have a first generation 4GB iPhone. Got it when the price dropped to $199 almost a year and a half ago. In the past year, this text messaging problem has occurred more than once, but there was really nothing I could do about it (Because it was only temporary, usually corrected itself with a reboot). It happens maybe two or three times a month.

Today I was at the mall along with the rest of America, and it happened. I went right in to the Apple store just to show them (I don't really care too much, it's not a big deal and is easily fixable) just to see what they'd say. The first guy I talked to was baffled and told me to go to the genius bar. By the time I walked over there (probably 25 feet), it fixed itself, and I was laughing.

Fortunately, I've been taking screenshots the past couple times it's happened so I showed him the screenshots and he suggested an appointment.

What happens is, when I tap a chat in SMS, I essentially get a blank screen with just the text area, nothing else. The text area is in the middle of the screen, so when I tap that to type, the keyboard originates from there as if it was at the bottom of the screen like normal, hiding the conversation bubbles.

The third picture is just how my pages got stuck one day swiping over.

My question is: Since I have the old iPhone, what are they going to be able to do? If the problem isn't happening when I'm in there (Which I'm sure it won't be), I'll only have the screenshots as proof of my sanity, and they'll never know if they fixed it or not with a restore, which I'm assuming is all they will do.

What if I need new hardware or something of that nature? I don't want a 3G, what should I be expecting? Should I even show up to the appointment?

Just for the record:

Not jailbroken (The NGD are my initials, brought to you by CaptionCrunch)

Attached Files:

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Wow, I have no idea what you are saying. I suggest you to simplify things when you go to the meeting.

3. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

I was in the process of uploading the screenshots, which pretty much could be explained by a mime.

4. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

I agree with the screenshots and the mime. You really shouldn't talk when you meet with the genius.

5. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Maybe you have some kind of comprehension problem or learning disability, or Santa just didn't quite rub you the right way, whatever the problem is, I don't need it. I came for an answer to a relatively simple question, so if someone is willing to help out, great. No one needs a negative Nancy. Don't even respond to this either, I know you have to be big a tough via MacRumors forum, but just take a deep breath and walk away.

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

They probably have plenty of iPhone's ;)

I do think this is software related though, and a restore should fix it. Have you tried to restore it yourself?

7. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Yeah I've restored probably 10-20 times in the past year, and it keeps happening. I hope they have first generations laying around, but I doubt it.

8. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

my pages get stuck in the middle all the time. it seems to happen more often now with 2.2.

i have had my sms app get funny... not like yours, but i've had my keyboard refuse to come up... or the textbox disappear... or the chat will refuse to scroll all the way to the bottom where the textbox would be

9. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Those are the problems I had today in the mall. First time I've ever had those. Really weird. You do anything about it?

10. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

restart if they get stuck... thats all. i never really seen them till 2.2
    maybe theyll get fixed

they wont replace the phone for a software problem like that

11. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

That used to happen to me ALL the time! Haven't happened with my 3G

12. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

That's what I'm thinking. I probably won't end up going to the appointment.

13. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeha i ve had the same problem in the past, my phone is pwned so that i can use it in canada (2g iphone) so i always just figured it was because of that

14. aristobrat macrumors G5

They should have plenty of prior generation iPhones and iPods on hand. If not, they will order one.

15. rtmadden macrumors regular

16. GSA190 macrumors member

GSA190

I use to have the same problem. After restarting my phone I never ha the problem again. It's nothing big, no big problems assosiated with it.

17. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

So if the screenshots are convincing enough, and I give it just enough whining, I could possibly walk away with new hardware?

18. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Totally had this problem as well but kept quiet cuz it went away after 2.2, but it's not just happening to you.

Attached Files:

19. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

I've obviously upgraded, and restored a buncha times... should I bother going to the genius bar appointment?

Like I said, they're never going to know if they "fixed" anything because it doesn't happen all the time.

20. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

i had that same problem with my iphone but i dont know how i fixed it.

i got the phone replaced (GPS not working) and 2.2 came out in the same week.

my only suggestion that you may not have tried...

delete the 2.2 firmware from your computer and re-download it.

i have had no problems on 2.2 but like i said, that may not have been the entire problem

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If you've restored and the problem still persists there's nothing more that can be done. Take your screenshots with you and ask for a replacement right off the bat--be polite but insistent. Don't let them put you through the whole diagnostic, restore crap again. They'll give you a refurbished 1st gen--if you purchased Applecare.

22. KidneyMerchant macrumors member

By "restore" you mean actual restore and not just reset right? Restoring via iTunes? You probably do but I was just checking. Maybe redownload the 2.2?

BTW the pic posted above was from Beejive, not the Apple SMS.

23. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

I don't think I purchased Apple Care and it's been over a year. That's my point--is there any reason for me to even drive over there an plead my case? Obviously the problem wasn't caused by me, but it's been over a year-they're going to tell me to take a walk.

What?

24. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

It wouldn't hurt to drive over to the Apple Store, but I'm thinking that it's out of warranty and you didn't purchase AppleCare, they still might work something out to your advantage. Those refurbs are lookin' pretty good...:(

Get rid of the Caption Crunch before you bring it in, b/c the Genius might think it's JB, (though it's not).

25. caitlin macrumors member

caitlin

That getting stuck in the middle of the pages happens when you push the dots.

If you use one finger and swipe to switch pages, and then use the other to tap the dots (page counter), it will freeze the page switcher. Swipe again to fix.