Really odd thing going on between AppleTV and iTunes

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by DeusInvictus7, Jun 8, 2011.

1. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

So I ripped Season 3 of How I Met Your Mother into my iTunes library using the Apple TV 2 setting in Handbrake. When I try to play any of the episodes in iTunes, I get audio, but no video. I thought this was odd, so I went to check my Apple TV, and sure enough it plays just fine, audio and video.

Anyone possibly know what's happening? If I play the files in VLC it plays fine, but any other player (Quicktime, MPlayerX from the App Store) both just play the audio...

Any help would be great, thanks :)

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I really do hate to ask this stupid question, but do other media files play audio in your library? If so, try Perian.

3. DeusInvictus7 thread starter macrumors 68020

Well I have Seasons 1 and 2 of How I Met Your Mother, and a lot of Top Gear episodes, and all of them play in iTunes just fine with both audio and video.

I just tried installing Perian and it did work...but why? Why is it that one Season of a show isn't working but all of my other TV shows work and were encoded the exact same way?

Thanks for the Perian advice btw. :D

4. locust76 macrumors 6502a

Are your copies of How I Met Your Mother in HD? If not, use the Apple TV 1 settings, as the Apple TV 2 settings blow the picture up to HD and is a waste of space.

Other than that, I don't know how it couldn't work; everything I rip/convert using Handbrake works across all my iOS devices.

Make sure you're using MP4 as a container with Large file size enabled and H.264 as your video codec.

You actually shouldn't have any problems with Handbrake and its profiles...

5. DeusInvictus7 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah that's what's really confusing me. I've ripped everything I have the exact same way so I can't see why it wouldn't show video. But in any case, installing Perian did work, so everything is back to normal as far as I can see.

6. xov macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Could it have to do with Season 3 being widescreen and Seasons 1 & 2 being 4:3 ? (I actually can't remember when they went to widescreen ... Just trying think of a reason #3 would be different.)