Really odd wifi issues. Apple are stumped. I'm stumped. How about you?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ss957916, Dec 4, 2009.

1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

My June 09 MacBook Pro has massive problems staying connected to my Airport Express or Airport Extreme - it'll intermittently disconnect, not be able to connect and the range is dreadful. My partner's Macbook and our iPhones have no problems at all.

My MBP had a new Airport card, screen and HDD(?!) installed by Apple, but it still won't connect to our network (called 'Free Public WiFi').

However, and here's the really odd bit, I used my old Linksys WRT54G wifi router for over a month and there wasn't a single problem - revert back to my week-old Extreme or my 18 month old Express and the problems return.

What could it be?!

Attached Files:

• Wifi.png
      Wifi.png
      File size:
      146.4 KB
      Views:
  2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Wireless issues are often closely related to your environment. Some areas have more interference sources than others. I lived for years next door to a TV station.... wreaked havoc with anything wireless. I'd use whatever router is least susceptible to interference, regardless of the brand.

3. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just to reiterate - my MBP has problems whereas my partner's MacBook and iPhone 3G, and my iPhone 3GS have no problems at all. Could interference really only ever effect my MBP and no other unit??

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Try changing wireless channels on your extreme. Sometimes that helps if you live in a populated area.

5. AaronX macrumors member

I'd try disabling things on the router, like only using 802.11 b/g and turning off the security (temporarily). Try using Windows on your MBP and see if it can connect.

6. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I couldn't connect to my in-laws router at all and when I went to the Apple Store and I couldn't even get on the open networks at all. So under "Network Preferences" Change the Location at the top from "Automatic" to "Default". I hope this helps. They showed me this at the Apple Store and haven't had a problem since.

7. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you create a new user account, does it still have the issue?