Really odd WIFI problem....

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by brando123b, Feb 10, 2011.

1. brando123b macrumors regular

My new VZ iPhone has worked great since I got it on Monday. Now all of a sudden last night it would be on 3G instead of my home WIFI. I reset wirelesss, even restored the phone. The crazy thing, if I go into settings > network, it will turn on, but it is only on while I am in that section fo the settings menu. As soon as I leave and go to the home screen it goes back to 3G.

Any takers?

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You said you restored; what kind of restore did you do?
    Have you tried "Reset Network Settings"?
    Have you tried it on any other wifi?

3. brando123b thread starter macrumors regular

So progress...

I tried to connect to an unsecured network from another person in my building and it connects just fine.

I wonder what I could possibly have set up wrong on my router...

It is a Linksys E1000, I reset the router last night because my girlfriend's computer wasn't connecting correctly.

Could that have messed it up?

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Well if that is when the trouble started, I would say yes.
    You didn't answer my question about "Reset Network Settings". Have you done that yet?
    Settings>general>reset>reset network settings.

5. Bakes7 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem. I tried the reset network settings and everything, put in the password to connect to my wireless network (apple router), but no luck. When I select an unsecured wifi signal from the building, it works fine. No idea what to try now....

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Try turning off the security on your router. If that works, change to a different type security setting.

7. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

funny my problem is just the opposite. I restored and jb this past sunday and now my wifi is always on. I turn it off and within minutes its back on. no biggy but not looking for anything else on that may cause the battery to drain quicker.

8. jthomp, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

jthomp macrumors regular

My money is on this as well. I can't remember my past/current settings at home, but this caused me an evening's worth of headaches when trying to setup a friends router at home... Disable the security all together and see if you can connect to the router...