Really old Apple monitor on VGA-compatible Mac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Aug 11, 2014.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I have an adapter that adapts the old kind of display port on a beige Mac to male VGA. That works nicely so I can use a newer VGA LCD on an old Mac... However, I noticed that there are male ports on old Apple monitors too. I wanted to use it to adapt my 1987 Apple monitor to VGA, then plug that into my, for example. PMG4 Cube or other VGA-compatible Mac with a VGA cable. My 1987 Apple monitor DOES work, but when I tried to do this, the screen remained black. Is this not a possible thing? (I like using this expression): Is it not shipping even though it fits? Has anyone achieved this before? I know it sounds useless to use this adapter for the opposite purpose it was intended for, but it would be cool to adapt an old monitor onto a newer, VGA Apple computer and use an old ADB keyboard/mouse and everything.

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I can't imagine why what you're doing wouldn't work.

I have an adapter designed to connect a DB-15 monitor to a VGA port. In fact, when I was trouble shooting my new MDD, I actually used an old 14" Apple color monitor with it via "stacked" adapters(DVI to VGA, then VGA to DB-15). I had no issues at all with doing this.

3. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

The only thing I can think of is that the lowest resolution of your PPC is higher than the monitor..

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The old Apple displays were "fixed frequency" - they ran at a single resolution with a single refresh rate. If your video card (or your OS) doesn't support that one resolution and refresh rate, it won't work. Also your adapter may wrongly declare that the monitor is multi-sync, and your video card may try to send a resolution/rate that the monitor can't handle, even if it SHOULD be capable of running it.