Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjronline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
I have an AT&T plan that is grandfathered from about 5 years ago. It's an amazing plan that I don't want to change from. The SIM is from the old AT&T Wireless, before they switched to Cingular and then back to AT&T again. As it's an AT&T SIM, can I use it in a locked iPhone without having to jailbreak it?

Also without EDGE access or a specific iPhone plan, which features won't I be able to use on the iPhone? Can I still use "Locate Me" or "Google Maps"? Will I have issues with the "Visual Voicemail"? What else might I have problems with?

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I have an AT&T plan that is grandfathered from about 5 years ago. It's an amazing plan that I don't want to change from. The SIM is from the old AT&T Wireless, before they switched to Cingular and then back to AT&T again. As it's an AT&T SIM, can I use it in a locked iPhone without having to jailbreak it?

Also without EDGE access or a specific iPhone plan, which features won't I be able to use on the iPhone? Can I still use "Locate Me" or "Google Maps"? Will I have issues with the "Visual Voicemail"? What else might I have problems with?
The old SIM probably will not work. However the SIM is not the plan. You can just get a new SIM from ATT. Just tell them your current phone has problems with it (SIM error, invalid SIM, etc.) I actually had this probably with my old RAZR.

Without a data plan you won't be able to use any internet feature unless you are in a wifi area. So features like Google maps, weather, stocks, safari, mail. Honestly if you aren't going to get a data plan, just buy an iPod Touch.

mjronline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
The old SIM probably will not work. However the SIM is not the plan. You can just get a new SIM from ATT. Just tell them your current phone has problems with it (SIM error, invalid SIM, etc.) I actually had this probably with my old RAZR.

Without a data plan you won't be able to use any internet feature unless you are in a wifi area. So features like Google maps, weather, stocks, safari, mail. Honestly if you aren't going to get a data plan, just buy an iPod Touch.

You have a really old plan and you were able to convince AT&T to give you a new SIM? I've tried before, and they've told me that they are unable to make new SIMs of plans as old as mine.

Regarding getting the iPod Touch instead, I need the phone functions of the iPhone, so a Touch wouldn't really help me.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
You have a really old plan and you were able to convince AT&T to give you a new SIM? I've tried before, and they've told me that they are unable to make new SIMs of plans as old as mine.

Regarding getting the iPod Touch instead, I need the phone functions of the iPhone, so a Touch wouldn't really help me.
Of course you need a phone. I meant keep the old phone, buy a Touch. Without the data plan, an iphone is really just a phone with a nice screen and an ipod. If you aren't willing to switch to an iPhone plan there really is no point to get an iPhone.

cdd543

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2006
Denver
If your sim starts with 8930(old blue) then it will 100% not work in iPhone or any other newer AT&T phone. To get a new sim(8901xxx) they will need to migrate you off of your old plan which is what they want to do anyway.

mjronline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Of course you need a phone. I meant keep the old phone, buy a Touch. Without the data plan, an iphone is really just a phone with a nice screen and an ipod. If you aren't willing to switch to an iPhone plan there really is no point to get an iPhone.

My old phone is a piece of garbage, triple as thick as the iPhone, with no camera from 2002, with the broken back cover being held together by a piece of tape. Still think I should keep it? :)

whats so good about your plan?

Unlimited Nights/Weekends, 850 Minutes Anytime, Free Mobile to Mobile, and Free Long Distance/Roaming throughout US/Canada.

I actually live in Canada, but travel to the US about 10 times a year, and I also have a lot of family/friends in the US that I call, so this is the only practical plan I can really use while living in Canada, but traveling and calling in the US a lot.

If your sim starts with 8930(old blue) then it will 100% not work in iPhone or any other newer AT&T phone. To get a new sim(8901xxx) they will need to migrate you off of your old plan which is what they want to do anyway.

Thanks for the information. Mine indeed does start with 8931, and I definitely will not migrate to a newer plan. Guess I'll be unlocking it then.

Ok side question, if I unlock, do I also have to jailbreak? If not, and I simply unlock it and don't jailbreak it, will it cause issues with the 1.1.3 firmware or any future firmware?

polishmacuser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Los Angeles
My old phone is a piece of garbage, triple as thick as the iPhone, with no camera from 2002, with the broken back cover being held together by a piece of tape. Still think I should keep it? :)

Unlimited Nights/Weekends, 850 Minutes Anytime, Free Mobile to Mobile, and Free Long Distance/Roaming throughout US/Canada.

I actually live in Canada, but travel to the US about 10 times a year, and I also have a lot of family/friends in the US that I call, so this is the only practical plan I can really use while living in Canada, but traveling and calling in the US a lot.

Thanks for the information. Mine indeed does start with 8931, and I definitely will not migrate to a newer plan. Guess I'll be unlocking it then.

Ok side question, if I unlock, do I also have to jailbreak? If not, and I simply unlock it and don't jailbreak it, will it cause issues with the 1.1.3 firmware or any future firmware?
this is why i hate this phone, its like a pain in the ass more likely, you have to jailbreak to unlock it. And the more deeper you go into firmwares the harder and more painful it gets. IF you want 1.1.3 and it to be unlocked so far iphonesimfree works :D since i have it. But edge settings dont work properly with a different sim. Its just a pain. Buy yourself a nokia n95 lol jk iphone is beautiful but apple cant let go of it sorry

mjronline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
this is why i hate this phone, its like a pain in the ass more likely, you have to jailbreak to unlock it. And the more deeper you go into firmwares the harder and more painful it gets. IF you want 1.1.3 and it to be unlocked so far iphonesimfree works :D since i have it. But edge settings dont work properly with a different sim. Its just a pain. Buy yourself a nokia n95 lol jk iphone is beautiful but apple cant let go of it sorry

Yeah, it sounds like quite a project just to use it with another SIM card.

I'm going to be in the US in 1.5 weeks. Odds are that by then, the iPhones in store will have FW 1.1.2 or even more likely 1.1.3. Is there any point in even buying it?

Has the iPhone Dev Team announced that they've figured out or are close to figuring out how to jailbreak and unlock a 1.1.3 native iPhone?

osxnewbe

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
I went through this with my iPhone. I was using a sim card from early 2003 as well. The iPhone has a new sim card and when you activate the phone in iTunes, it will migrate you account to the new sim card and deactivate your old card...

You can keep your current calling plan and add the data plan. I kept my current plan (450 anytime, 5000 n/w minutes, national calling) and added for $20 200 text messages and unlimited data...

mjronline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
I went through this with my iPhone. I was using a sim card from early 2003 as well. The iPhone has a new sim card and when you activate the phone in iTunes, it will migrate you account to the new sim card and deactivate your old card...

You can keep your current calling plan and add the data plan. I kept my current plan (450 anytime, 5000 n/w minutes, national calling) and added for $20 200 text messages and unlimited data...

Are you absolutely certain? AT&T told me that if I lose my SIM card, they can't create for me a new one without changing me from my old plan to a newer one. Were you still on contract? Did you plan still exist in any form on AT&T or was it a non existant grandfathered one? What else can you tell me about the process?

Also did you have to get the data plan or is that optional? I'm in Canada so the data plan would be kinda useless for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.