Really old CD Enhanced video, how get playback?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tmt, Apr 30, 2015.

1. tmt macrumors member

tmt

Hi there,
    I just got a NOS cd-single from Kraftwerk from 1999.
    It contains a video of Tour de France, but as you´d expect it´s really old stuff.
    It contains QT 3.0 for playback and lots of different files.
    I can´t get it to playback on my Mac or my Vaio.
    Can someone please help as it would be so cool :)
    I got VLC to play it, sort of, as it was choppy and it´s somehow not playing everything.
    TIA

2. campyguy macrumors 68030

Funny, I was just making ALAC copies of my CDs before putting them in remote storage sometime next week, and dug up some old enhanced CDs - including an import of The Mix and another by Goldfrapp...

I found that the now-archived QT7 Player played back the videos nicely on my Mini.

I'd seen that video years ago, I'm a cycling nut and sometime Kraftwerk fan - but that video is part joke and part blasphemy IMO. Fritz and Henning put themselves in the vid, and cut out Karl and Wolfgang (who participated in creating the original song and album! - that's the blasphemy!).

The vid also included footage of admitted dopers Coppi and Anquetil - more blasphemy! Boo. And lyrics in German, if I recall correctly - good luck with that!

3. tmt thread starter macrumors member

tmt

Thanx Campy.
    I downloaded QT 7 but it didn´t playback anything I´m sad to say.
    VLC doesn´t work, in fact no program works for this on my mac.
    I tried google but came up empty-handed.
    All help appreciated :)

PS campyguy, are you a Record or Superrecord kinda guy? :D

4. campyguy macrumors 68030

Record up until about 2008, when they went all carbon. Athena since, the alu gruppo.

I've got 2006 Record on my Colnago C50 (alu, with some carbon bits including the brakes/levers), an Athena triple on my Gunnar (crappy knees!), and Record on my 1978 English Raleigh. SR is too "bling" for me and I'm 6'7" 250# - shaving a few grams off my butt will go a lot farther than the extra $1k spent!

5. campyguy macrumors 68030

6. campyguy macrumors 68030

So, I reached out to my friend who has that hybrid CD - she told me the video on that CD is encoded to be dual-platform - AVI, in other words, back when MS and Apple were firing video codec shots at each other. No wonder you can't play it!

I had Perian installed on my Mac at the time, which is abandonware now. I'm aware that VLC claims to play back AVI-encoded files, but it does not play back higher-rate AVI files.

From my new IT person, she told me that there are very few options available and Google is your friend in that regard.

See, I didn't give up on a fellow Kraftwerk fan! BTW, they announced new "3D" tour dates here in NA today (http://www.avclub.com/article/kraftwerk-adds-more-us-dates-its-visually-stunning-218933) - the local show is going to be at my Alma Mater.
    Cheers!

7. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I've got some of those enhanced CD's. Plays pretty well on my G3 iMac.