Really quite lost as to which to pick

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KoenigReinhold, Jun 11, 2009.

1. KoenigReinhold macrumors newbie

Hi there everyone, I'm sure you get plenty of these questions each day but I would like some input.

First off, Im debating about purchasing either the new Macbook Air or the new 15" Macbook Pro 2.53ghz 4 gb ram.

With this said I am entering law school and will require a fairly portable notebook. Both of these notebooks are extremely lightweight, however I have yet to test the power of the new air. (Sidenote If I buy the Air I will also be purchasing the cd reader drive).

Now as far as usage I would mainly be completing word processing, skype, and msn. However and this is where Im now confused due to the recent update, I enjoy playing the game SecondLife and am wondering if the Air will be able to play it reasonably well... right now I struggle with low graphics (on a 4-5 year old laptop which uses a ATI radeon x600).

I noticed that both the Macbook Pro and the Air have 9400M cards and if you pay extra you can have a Macbook Pro that switches to 9600gts; is this really a big difference?

One of the main differences I see is that the Pro has 2.53 ghz with 4gb ram while the Air has only 2.13 ghz with 2 gb ram. To my knowledge 2 gb of ram is more than enough for most applications currently (im not video editing).

If I configured the Air, would a SSD increase the speed of the computer so that the processor gap would not seem too significant? (Considering that the speed of a computer is based upon the HD, Graphics, and Chip).

Thanks!

2. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

This advice is based on my pov...

The 2.53 mpb is a great deal; scratch that, a fantastic deal. Yes the 9600M is a much better graphics card, it will run games a lot better.
    These benchmarks include the mbp you are looking at

http://www.macworld.com/article/136279/2008/10/macbookpro_benchmarks.html

I couldn't find benchmarks for the mba in my quick search, but just trust me, its slower all around. I know people vouch for the mba, but if an interest is gaming, I would shy away. Yes, it can play some of them... but thats not what is was designed for.

Now a question that probably will be asked even before I post is why don't you buy the 13" mbp? Its about 4.5lbs which isn't that much at all. Its a great solution for portability and is cheaper than the mba. Additionally it becomes all the more portable when you look at the 7 hour battery life that it sports, plus its ability to hold 4 gigs of ram.

Needs wise, any macbook should be able to meet your needs. Personally, I would go for the 15" because its a fantastic deal (~1500 usd in the refub store, I think) and it will last a bit longer because of the better components. Unless you have an issue with weight-bearing (can't have a moderately heavy bag) go with the 15" mpb. Plus its the last of a dying breed, the battery can be swapped out by the consumer. Its surprisingly portable and lightweight... and amazing... :)

3. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

The mac book air is a good secound computer , Not as your primary computer, I go will the mac book pro more powerfull , bettter screen