Really really slow performance since upgrading to lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mellofello, Aug 8, 2011.

1. mellofello macrumors 65816

This weekend I upgraded my late 2010 13 in air, and my 27 inch i5 iMac. Both of them are now crawling compared to how they were running on snow leopard. I have moments where they freeze for 10+ seconds. I constantly have to go into activity monitor and keep just the essential programs running. In snow leopard I never had this issue.

Both of these machines only have2 gigs of ram. Was it a mistake upgrading? I did the standard upgrade instead of a fresh install. Has anyone else experienced the same issues, if so has doing a clean install helped?

I am seriously considering going back to snow leopard from my time machine backup.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

my 2010 mbp 15" i5 is also slow on lion compared to SL. I initially used an upgrade but because it was sluggish i did a clean install. It seems a *little* better but not great. I also have it freeze on me a lot.

I upgraded my HDD to a SSD and that helped. I initially had the stock 4gb RAM and that was really pushing it, lion seems to use more RAM then SL especially safari 5.1. I have upgraded to 8gb RAM and that also helped quite a bit. although even with 8gb it still isn't as fast as SL was.

3. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Are you using any incompatible third part software (e.g. Flash, etc)? This is the single biggest reason why people are having issues after intalling Lion. Check your console logs and see if there are any crashes reported. I noticed that growl was crashing and when I updated the software the crashes no longer happened.

I have upgraded a 2011 iMac and a 2009 MacBook Pro and both are running great with Lion installed. Although this is not a requirement, I did a clean install because I wanted to make sure that I got rid any bloat that may have accumulated on my Mac computers.

4. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I installed Lion on a 2009 17" MacBook Pro that has 4 GB RAM and it runs just as well (or even a bit better) as it did when I had Snow Leopard installed on it. There is something else going on causing the issue. Maybe incompatible software that needs to be updated.

5. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Lion runs just as well as SL on my MacBook (2.16 GHz, 2 GB 667 DDR2, GMA 950). I only did a clean install; never tried upgrading from SL.

6. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

nope, this is a clean install without any third party software added yet, nor flash. Just iLife'11 which i updated, opera from the appstore and pathfinder.

7. mellofello thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not familiar with how to check the crash logs. While the freezing is happening I have gone into activity monitor and no one program is hogging all of the resources. Is flash the culprit? I have upgraded to the latest version.

8. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Check the console logs to see if there are any crashes happening.

9. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

To check the crash logs open the console app in Applications/Utilities.