Really simple chain question...

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by manosaurus, Dec 18, 2007.

1. manosaurus macrumors 6502

manosaurus

Here is my current chain:

Mic > firepod or tascam us122 > garageband

I want to add a compressor to this just for vocal tracking but I don't know how or where it goes in the chain. I am getting an FMR Audio RNC. I'll attach the figure of the back of the unit so you can see the various inputs.

In my mind I that the chain would be,

mic > compressor > firepod or tascam > garageband

but I don't see any XLR connection on the RNC. So where does it fit in?

Any help?

Attached Files:

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it goes between the pre and the converters. Unless you've got an insert in your interface, you're looking at buying separate components if you really need compression while tracking (do you?).

3. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

I agree, adding compression after tracking would be better because you can adjust the compression without having to re-record.

Granted, I do not really know if Garageband's compression is any good, but it all depends on what you are recording for.

I will assume you are using it to record quick demo's and song ideas, in which case Garageband's compression should suit you just fine.

4. manosaurus thread starter macrumors 6502

manosaurus

Thanks!

Yes, I will occasionally need compression/limiting capabilities, (lol, I love you guys!)

Check out the jpeg of the firepod. Does it have the necessary inputs for a compressor?

I read this on a review of the firepod:

"The Firepod also includes quarter inch TRS balanced send and return jacks on the rear panel. These send/return jacks are necessary when connecting compressors, limiters, or others signal processors to channels 1 and 2."

Attached Files:

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yeah, the firepod has inserts. they're balanced, and the RNC is unbalanced, so that's something you'll have to look into.

i've got my RNC hooked up to a patchbay, so i'm uncertain what kind of cabling you'll need to do. redco wired up my patchbay for me; i told them i had an RNC, and they knew what to do.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

hm, i wasn't really saying that. i don't think i've ever used the RNC during tracking, but i've definitely used compression during tracking (usually an 1176 or something else that imparts the color i want).

the RNC doesn't have much color.

7. manosaurus thread starter macrumors 6502

manosaurus

Looks like it's possible at least. I'm getting a decent deal on the RNC used so I thought it might be worth having around.

Oh, off the subject, I decided against ProTools and got Logic 8 Pro. I might be in the market for a preamp soon too. What do you think of the RNP instead of the firepod, zim?

Attached Files:

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i like the RNP a lot, but i've not used the firepod so i don't know how they compare. perhaps it'd be better to save up for some better pre's?

i assume you mean you want to keep the firepod but use the RNP to frontend it. if so, you would be able to use the RNP inserts for the RNC, then the outs of the RNP would go into the line ins of the firepod.

9. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

it would also solve the unbalanced issue of the RNC