Really simple help with network please.?.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by plymman, Aug 30, 2011.

1. plymman macrumors member

:confused:

Hi all.

I have an imac as my main computer and have just picked up a macbook air today. All I want to do is be able to access my imac home folder on my macbook. I'm sure it should be really simple but no matter what I've tried I've got nowhere. I just want to access my photos, videos etc.. that sit on my imac on my macbook when I'm downstairs.

Can anyone offer any idiot proof instructions or point me in the right direction?

Thanks

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

On the iMac turn on file sharing under System Preferences, Sharing. The iMac should then show up on the finder on the left side under shared on the MacBook Air. Now you can mount the iMac folder on your MacBook Air.

3. plymman thread starter macrumors member

i have set sharing on both but neither can see each other in finder, ive added the folders i want to share and set permission but still cant see them

4. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

Go into System Preferences, Network on each computer and tell us the IP addresses of each computer under Status.

Want to make sure they are on the same subnet.

5. plymman thread starter macrumors member

DOH! Thanks for the replies, it seems my imac had reconnected to a neighbours unsecured router instead of my own. Reconnected to my own router and voila its working!

Thanks for your help but i'm sure i'll be back with some more dummy questions soon......as a lifelong windows user networking, remote desktop etc.. in OSX are a mystery to me at the moment!