Really slow iMac G5 - Leopard's fault?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Chris W, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Chris W macrumors newbie

Hi all,

First time post, long time lurk.

I have an iMac G5 with iSight, running Leopard (upgraded from Tiger about a year ago) and have recently installed a new 1G RAM card. The reason I bought and installed the additional RAM was because I thought that the slowness of my Mac was due to the fact that the 512 RAM I had was not sufficient to run Leopard properly. (It was fine when I was running Tiger.)

But it is still slow. Maybe even slower than previously. And over the last few days, it has been even slower still. I get beach-balls all the time for 30+sec's, and moving from one app to another takes ages!!

Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Have you checked that the RAM is fully functioning, also, a reinstall of Mac OS X might help.

3. Chris W thread starter macrumors newbie

Haven't done either as yet. I am fine with reinstalling the OS, but how would I know if the RAM is fully functioning? Everything works, it's just super-slow.
    Thanks for your help.

4. Macmel macrumors 6502

I installed leopard on an iBook G4. First time I did an upgrade from Tiger and it really slowed down my computer. Then, I reinstalled completely, erasing all previous content off the hard drive, and then it was as fast or even faster than it was before with Tiger. Just do a clean install and your problem will be solved. I had 764 Mb of RAM, by the way

5. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

To check the RAM, see if its listed under the About This Mac and then, if it is, restart your mac with either the original DVD or (dunno, but it think so) the leopard DVD, holding down D to run low-level diagnostics and see if the memory passes under extended testing

6. Floris1994 Guest

From other peoples experience there is a ninety percent chance that it is slow because you did not do a "wipe and install". Aperrently upgrading messes up your system and makes it terribly slow. Just wipe your HD and then install.

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Back up your gear to a hard drive and do a full wipe and install instead of an upgrade, you will thank us for it.

As for it being slower after adding memory, sounds like the memory could be faulty.

8. SSkky Reader macrumors newbie

SSkky Reader

iMac G5's were great! Since then Apple has encouraged their customers to upgrade, to the New (Soon to be updated) iMacs. I'd recommend backing up your data via (Time Machine) and consider upgrading your hardware (even if it's a refurbish iMac).

When Apple updates their OS's it's mainly due to new technology and future hardware requirements in that are in the product pipeline.

9. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Correctly configured iMac G5's can run Leopard just fine. I'd suggest trying a clean install if you're having problems running at an acceptable speed with 1GB of RAM or more.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Wow, a big solution to a mid size problem no?

Replace the old machine? My iMac G5 runs fine(although its no longer my main machine)

The G5 can run 10.5 just fine

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

My rev. A iMac G5 still runs like a champ. Slap 2GB of RAM in there and you're good to go. I recently re-installed Leopard (clean install) and it's quite snappy.

12. SSkky Reader macrumors newbie

SSkky Reader

ZAP you make a compelling point:). Apple doesn't just look at the now, it looks at the future. The G5 will eventually be none supported like our recent list of products that we no longer will service. Plus if MW09 wasn't a obvious indication that, our next releases' of software (and hardware) will eventually make previous generation computer's become quickly obsolete.

Look for more announcement's about what software is recommended for next releases. (I must say the economy has slowed, what we wanted to get out sooner, which will now be later).

My solution seemed best for him for the long term.;)
    :apple:

13. dringkor macrumors member

Dunno about your G5, but my wife's G4 PowerBook and my G4 Mini, which ran fine under Leopard originally, had slowed to a crawl recently. Turns out to have been an increasing number of website ads using flash animations. Install Flashblock plugin for Firefox, or Safaribock for Safari. My computers sped up straight away after I did.

14. Chris W thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for their help.
    I have just noticed that neither "About this mac" nor System Profiler indicate that I have now got 1GB of memory - both are still displaying 512MB.
    Is this to be expected?

15. seb-opp macrumors 6502

how full is your HDD? make sure there is at least 10% free so there is room for Virtual memory

16. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I had that on a Macbook.

Just reseat (pull out and put back) the chips. Make sure they are definitely in.

17. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Leopard should not be that slow on any G5. My parents' iMac, for example, runsLeopard just as fast as it used to run Tiger. It's really fast.

18. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Create a new user and login as that user and see if it is any faster. Also have you tried repairing permissions?

19. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Follow-up question

This is a pretty old thread, but I recently upgraded my dad's iMac G5 from Tiger to Leopard and it's a little sluggish as well. It's a 1.8 GHz G5 iMac with 1 GB memory. What I've noticed is it seems a little laggy in general, but specifically the graphics sometimes aren't smooth. For example, he has magnification enabled in the Dock, and running the cursor across the dock results in jerky magnify animations. I really expected it to be smoother.

Before I wipe the drive and install Leopard from scratch, can anyone comment on if the slightly-slower-than-Tiger speed and somewhat jerky animations are normal for this machine?

Oh, and for just casual use, do you think there's any point in upgrading the memory?

Thank you!

20. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Crap animation is normal for early versions of 10.5. Have you run Software Update yet to get 10.5.8? Being slightly slower than Tiger is normal for even 10.5.8 though.

21. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Thanks for your reply. I think it is on 10.5.7, so it is a relatively recent version. As I recall, bootup speed was really slow, too. Compared with my Early 2006 iMac Core Duo, which isn't exactly cutting edge, the speed difference is night and day.

22. Arthagnan macrumors regular

23. Amdahl macrumors 65816

That's a line of BS right there.

Avoid Tiger, it doesn't get any security updates.

10.5.8 has new drivers for some ATI cards, so I would recommend going to 10.5.8. As long as you've always had at least 10% of the disk space full, it should be running fast. Other things to try are booting the Leopard DVD, and running Disk Utility to Repair Disk and Repair Permissions.

Where is the boot process slow spending the extra time?

24. Arthagnan macrumors regular

BS or not, my Power Mac G5 ran fast with Tiger installed.

But your iMac might be different...

25. imaclover25 macrumors newbie

I know this is late(after 3 years)but no that is not right you didn't install RAM right try to take RAM out and put it back in and make sure that it's installed correctly.And to speed up your iMac do fresh install of leopard(when installing choose to delete old files)that should speed it up(that is not solving the problem with incorrectly installed RAM but the speed problem.:apple:Good Luck:apple: