Really slow incoming email

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OneShow, Dec 5, 2007.

1. OneShow macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am having problems with downloading my email.

I can view my emails fine through webmail, but when it comes to downloading them through Apple Mail (v2.1) it is a different story. Emails with an attachment larger than 200kb can take hours to download. 1mb can take overnight!

I have broadband internet which runs incredibly fast when downloading files, video etc off the internet.

The email server I am downloading from is not hosted by my ISP as it is a company email account.

I have contacted my ISP and they don't do anything to slow it down.

I have contacted my company website host and they have run tests and everything seems fine.

I can take the same computer (iMac G5 running OS 10.4.11) and connect it to a friends internet connection and my emails come down at lightning speed.

I don't have any firewalls etc on my computer.

The only thing I can think of is it must be something to do with the router. It is a MSI (Micro-Star International) RG54GS router.

I would love to have this problem fixed! Any ideas?

2. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

Really slow incoming email

Why not try getting a new router? I use an Apple Airport at home, and it works pretty well.

I have also experienced the email slowdown. To me it seems to be a problem with the email server that I'm using.

I have a .Mac account for my email. I find it quite useful.

Sometimes the .Mac server is down for one reason or other. When that happens I wait until the problem clears up.

Another vote for the router problem is that when your at your friend's, and don't have a problem, he's using a different kind of router.

To fix some problems, you have to experiment a little.