Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashleybrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
I've got a 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo iMac running 10.4.9 and possibly the slowest wireless internet connection possible..:(

The modem/router is a Netgear DG834N and I downloaded the £1.25 N upgrade from Applestore. BT supply the ADSL.

The odd thing is, my Vaio is fine connecting to the net, although not at N speeds, but the iMac is really slow - eg 5 minutes to load BBC homepage. It works fine with an ethernet connection (involves lugging the iMac to the other end of the house).

The DNS server box is empty in TCP/IP and the software and firmware are all up to date so not being that brainy I'm a bit stumped...

Any ideas would be great.:)

Retired
May 16, 2006
Which browser(s) have you tried?

Try restarting the iMac and the router (unplug it, then re-plug 20 seconds later) :)

ashleybrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Thanks psychofreak, but no joy worst luck.

I did the restarts and reset the router.

I'm using Safari 2.0.4. Do you think I should try another browser and see what happens?

Twiztedklown316

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2004
Spokane, Wa
Granted Im running a 17" 1GHZ powerbook, but my internet (wireless) is so slow that it's nearly impossible to play flashgames because of lagtime. It really doesn't matter what browser I'm running. This really is something I've grown to live with, till I can purchase a new system.
All of our IBM machines are just fine, even the really old crappy dells, and vaios.

But I dont really understand what would be causing your slow speeds.

hari-bhari

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2007
i just got my macbook 2 days ago, and i gotta tell ya i was quite annoyed and flustered by the slow surfing. downloads were blazing fast over wirless, even faster than my windows machine, so i knew it wasnt anything with interference. but for whatever reason, web pages took forever to load, always getting stuck on the looking up part. so i searched for a couple of days and came across different solutions, one of which involved adding 4.2.2.1 through 4.2.2.6 under the dns settings, and this didnt really seem to help. what was even MORE flustering was the fact that surfing through windows on parallels was fast! BUT, i just tried the opendns thing and it seems to be the first thing that has actually helped. what's up with os x's dns settings to make it behave like this in the first place? i got a sour taste in my newly-mac mouth

cvance

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
i just got my macbook 2 days ago, and i gotta tell ya i was quite annoyed and flustered by the slow surfing. downloads were blazing fast over wirless, even faster than my windows machine, so i knew it wasnt anything with interference. but for whatever reason, web pages took forever to load, always getting stuck on the looking up part. so i searched for a couple of days and came across different solutions, one of which involved adding 4.2.2.1 through 4.2.2.6 under the dns settings, and this didnt really seem to help. what was even MORE flustering was the fact that surfing through windows on parallels was fast! BUT, i just tried the opendns thing and it seems to be the first thing that has actually helped. what's up with os x's dns settings to make it behave like this in the first place? i got a sour taste in my newly-mac mouth

Yeah I tried all of that stuff as well. But yeah open DNS really does help a lot I think that my surfing is even faster on my mac now than it was on my pc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.