Really slow startup after SSD upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tubeexperience, Oct 21, 2016.

1. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

I upgraded a MacBook Pro with an SSD, (which probably should have been done a long time ago).

Or as of my roommate say: "What's an SSD? Is that like a type of hard drive?" She is not exactly tech savvy. No wonder we are such good friends. lol

Anyway, after the upgrade, startup is REALLY slow. It would hang right after power on.

I don't mean that it boots slow. It boots FAST! Applications open almost instantaneously after boot.

I think that, for some reason, it doesn't quite know to boot from the drive and then hang.

It's actually faster for me to press "option" during startup and select the drive.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Let me guess: white screen for ages before you see the Apple logo?

When you turn it on again, press and hold CMD + ALT + P + R until you hear the Apple 'boot chime' 3 times, then let go. Should be better from there. :)

3. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

Yes, that is exactly it.

Will do. Good night!

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

You can also play in system preferences and select your preferred boot volume. I'm not on a Mac right now so I can't really tell you where to look, but I do know that in some cases switching hard drives may cause this setting to be lost, causing abnormally long boot times. I believe I had to do it on my own machine back when I switched to a SSD.

5. robvas macrumors 68020

System Preferences -> Startup Disk

[​IMG]

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

This, exactly. Thank you.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yup... that is almost certainly the issue here. If you install a new drive and don't select it in that screen the system spends a bunch of time searching around for boot volumes before finally finding the new drive.

8. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

That resolved the issue.

I am not sure why Mac PCs have trouble figuring out that it should boot from the only drive that it's connected to.

Windows PCs just boot from whatever it can find, and you don't have to go tweak the UEFI/BIOS.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Actually, I upgraded a few dozen iMacs at work with SSDs and some of them have this problem, but nobody said anything.

lol

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I believe I read somewhere if you don't have that selected it also looks around for a netboot option, so that makes it take even longer to circle around to the internal disk.

Glad you are fixed up. :)