Really slow to boot 2005 iMac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by patart, Nov 7, 2011.

1. patart macrumors newbie

I have PPC G5 2005 iMac.

Two years ago the video card went bad and the motherboard was replaced, repair facility claimed the hard drive was failing(all my Smart tests showed it was okay) and they replaced the drive.

About 2 months ago it started to kernel panic frequently and the cooling fans would start spinning loudly for no apparent reason. Took it to a local Apple approved repair facility here in Cleveland and they couldn't find anything wrong other than saying that the hard drive was again failing and they replaced it under warranty.

Got it home and started it up. It took about 7- 10 minutes to boot. After the Apple icon it stayed on a light blue screen for that 7-10 minutes. Called repair place and they have no answers.

Time to try somethings myself.....

Took out their new hard drive and put my hard drive in from 2 years ago when they said it was failing. Amazingly booted right up. I start to think that maybe it was their "new" hard drive that was just installed so I ordered a new drive from OWC and installed it, putting the original Tiger system on it that came with the install disks. Still a slow boot. Proceeded to put Leopard on it and it failed the installation saying there was a defect with the install disk. Tried it several times to no avail.

Next day I decided to take one of the RAM chips out and it started up slow again but this time I was able to fully install Leopard. Last night ran all three suites of Tech Tool Pro, Disk First Aid and Disk Warrior. All checked out perfectly. I read on the forums this morning that booting in Safe mode (Apple-E) might reveal an error. Booted fine into Safe mode for a minute and then the fans started their high speed whirring again and I had to hold down the power button to shut it down.

Any ideas why this machine is so slow to boot and then the kernel panics sending the fans into a high spin frenzy?

Thanks!

Pat

2. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Have you tried to check the temperatures on your CPU lately? If your CPU's are getting hot, might be about time that you apply a fresh coat of thermal compound in between your CPU and heatsink.

3. patart thread starter macrumors newbie

Just did a SMU reset and it appears to have fixed the slow boot problem. It starts right up!! Also did a Apple Hardware Test and everything passed perfectly. Now if I can just figure out why it kernel panics!!

This was the SMU reset procedure:

+Turn off the computer by choosing Shut Down from the Apple menu, or by holding the power button until the computer turns off.+
    +Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord.+
    +Wait 10 seconds.+
    +Plug in the power cord while simultaneously pressing and holding the power button on the back of the computer.+
    +Let go of the power button.+
    +Press the power button once more to start up your iMac.+

4. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A404 Safari/7534.48.3)

Kernel Panics can be caused by bad RAM or a bad RAM socket. Leopard is far more picky with the RAM it uses than Tiger. A machine that would not accept Leopard due to failing RAM would not accept Leopard but Tiger went on just fine. Strange.