Really Slow Transfer rate in Transmission... :(

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DirkBreeuwer, Nov 20, 2008.

1. DirkBreeuwer macrumors member

Hello, I am new to the Mac World. It has been the best computer experience in my life by the way! I've just had a couple bumps in the road: When I used Windows, Bitlord was mas favorite torrent client. Now that I switched to Mac I've been using Transmission. I like transmission ,but it downloads at 1/4 of my download speed and it does not keep a constant download rate. I am sure the problem is in Mac Os X or in Transmission, because if I run Windows (even in VMware fusion) I get my whole download speed. What do you recommend so I am able to download faster in Transmission?

Thanks in advance,

Dirk Breeuwer

2. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

Open Transmission, and press Command + Comma, then click the Bandwidth tab. Make sure it is set to unlimited.

Also make sure that turtle mode is turned off.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. DirkBreeuwer thread starter macrumors member

Weird, I did have Speed Limit mode set to 10kbps... I set it to 9999, but It still seems the same, jumps from 2kbps, to 35kbps, then down to 14kbps, and so on... (Randomly)

I didn't foward any ports... would that be necesary?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Port forwarding is always necessary to use services through a router.

6. DirkBreeuwer thread starter macrumors member

Haha damm, I've been using services through a router all my life and I have't done it... :p.

One question: Why do I have to forward ports in Transmission and not it Bitlord?

Two question: haha, do you know any good guide in port forwarding for my needs ?

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

BitLord might be using some uPnP magic but I can't confirm that. Otherwise incoming requests aren't being listened to.

My favorites are 27218 and 43413.

Attached Files:

8. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

What router do you have? If it supports upnp, then Transmission can do it for you.

9. DirkBreeuwer thread starter macrumors member

I have I speedtouch 500 Series. I am looking for a guide right now. Thanks for all the help... I'll post my progress

10. DirkBreeuwer thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so I followed a guide for my router, there weren't any specific instructions for Transmission. But I followed the instructions for BitTorrent, it seems easy, I just need to call my ISP and ask them for my DNS. Thanks for the help.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What do you need DNS information for?

12. DirkBreeuwer thread starter macrumors member

I needed my DNS to configure my internet connection and manually set an ip.

Ok It didn't work. :(

Here is what i did:

1rst: Set my router to forward port 10696 and ip 192.168.1.69

2nd: Set my ip to 192.168.1.69

3rd: Set transmission port to 10696

Attached Files:

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's UDP not TCP.

14. DirkBreeuwer thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I did that and still no open port. I called my ISP and they told me I am behind a NAT, and my public ip is shared with other users. So whatever is configured in my router isn't what is directly shown on internet.

My ISP sucks...

I still need to figure why BitLord does work, and Transmission doesn't. Are there any other P2P clients that use the same protocol as BitLord?

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Ah your ISP does suck putting you behind their NAT as well as your router's. Increase the number of connections.

BitLord doesn't look that remarkable. I wouldn't use it over uTorrent or Transmission.