really slow wifi copying problem suddenly started yesterday

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by madeirabhoy, Apr 16, 2016.

1. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

i have 2 macs in my lounge. my 2011 imac is mine, but my old 2009 mac mini runs all of our tv stuff, not only streaming tv but also i use plex for downloaded films and tv, which it streams to our samsung tv which has a plex app.

i do the downloading on my iMac, then copy files across to the mini by wifi. it takes seconds as you'd expect, for an episode of tv. I've been working the same way for months.

suddenly last night, downloaded blacklist and nashville, went to copy them onto mini, its taking 2 hours for one episode to copy.

I've reset both machines. I've reset the router. I've tried different files. I've copied the files onto my iMac internal drive before copying to the iMac in case its the external drive i download onto.

it can't be anything to do with the mini's wifi or external drive as its still streaming merrily to the plex app on the tv. normally it'll copy fine even when streaming something else, but in this case neither machine is doing anything except me typing this, and its taken about 5 minutes to copy 63mb.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I realize this doesn't solve your problem, but sometimes "the best way" is just to use a USB flashdrive and "sneakers" ...

3. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I don't have a good answer for you but best I understand, you are doing the copy by initiating from the iMac. Have you by chance also tried initiating from the Mini? Also, have you considered setting up FTP? There are multiple FTP software options out there. What router are you using?

4. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes I'm just doing the copy from the iMac.

in idiot proof terms how would i go about using ftp.

its a branded NOS (my isp) router so i dont know what type it is.

5. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

Just go ftp://[your mac mini's IP address] and login as admin user and password.
    This can be done from the finder, Command K (go to server).

6. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Follow Kiwi's post suggestion as it is a direct way to go or consider a front end such as Filezilla (free) etc.
    Have you tried copy from your Mini to get the files rather than initiating from your iMac and are the poor results the same?
    Also, you fiddled with your computers but have you checked the modem/router settings as an admin to the router?