Really Struggling.. MBP2,2 + Boot Camp + Win7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SSpiro, Dec 21, 2015.

1. SSpiro, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015

SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

I can not get boot camp to take my Windows image. I have a few image files. I've tried my WinXP, My Win7 x86, and my Win7 64.. It won't take WinXP and Win7 x86 because they are not 64 bit. But when i provide my 64-bit image, it still gives me the same error.

EDIT: Let me clarify something. I have the image on my late 2013 iMac running 10.11. This boot camp utility won't read the image to create a bootable USB. I've also tried burning the image to a DVD, but the MBP2,2 won't read the DVD during the "Start Installation" step of the process, leaving me with a windows partition setup and a boot record that fails on startup (no startup disk discovered error, etcetc)

I'm trying to gift this laptop to my son - but he needs to have Windows.

The MBP2,2 is running Snow Leopard, brand new clean install.

Any thoughts?

2. Gogol macrumors member

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Are you trying to remove Mac OS X entirely from the MacBook Pro, or simply install Windows to a second partition?

4. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Second partition.. traditional boot camp.

5. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

The machine i'm installing it on is running 10.6.8.. The machine I'm using to create bootable CD or USB is running 10.11..

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

There is the issue... You should use the MacBook Pro to create the USB so it uses the appropriate software when creating the drive.

7. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

I tried doing it on the MBP, but can't figure out how to get around the "Restore Failure: Could not validate source" and it cancels. Also, scan for restore fails as well.

I have a few copies of the ISO file, does it on every one.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Is it possible for you to boot of a legitimate optical disk and install right from there? Just use the Boot Camp Assistant to partition the drive.

9. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Your best bet is to use a Windows PC and Microsofts DVD/USB tool to make a bootable DVD or USB flash drive. Then use that DVD with the Bootcamp installer to make another bootable DVD or USB that includes the Apple drivers.
    That's also the easiest way to verify that the problem isn't with your ISO.