Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Londoner1982

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
i appreciate iOS and Android.

I have an iPad Pro 10.5 and I’m looking at getting another phone.

Camera is important to me and I like things on iOS & Android.

At the moment it’s between the XS/XS Max, Note 9 and Pixel 3.

On EBay I’ll pay £450 for the Pixel/Note 9, around £600 for the XS and £750 for the XS Max.

I just can’t decide, what can make up my mind without regretting what I get? I just want to get it right!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The choice is easy. There's more than enough info on the web about these phones. Do your homework. Nobody can tell you what you want. Everyone has a different opinion and all the phones are good.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
All I can tell you for sure. The XS Max is by far the best phone I've ever owned, it's fast, it takes great photos. It "just works". I've used Samsung phones before and I see the appeal, but this is some very sweet piece of kit.

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
It’s tough to give you any viable advice without some details on the features that interest you. You only mentioned the camera, but I’m assuming that isn’t the sole thing you care about. Just off the top of my head: do you like big phones or smaller ones? Is battery life critical? Do you play games? When you say “camera is important to me” - what specific features are important to you? Do you want to record video? You listed pricing - do you have financial constraints, or can you buy whatever you want? Etcetera, etcetera

Londoner1982

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Not into gaming on phones, battery is fairly important, I like medium to big size phones.

I’m buying secondhand so price isn’t too much of an issue.

The only phones I’m really looking into is XS/XS Max, Note 9, Pixel 3, nothing else really.

Although not too keen on Pixels design to be honest.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Not into gaming on phones, battery is fairly important, I like medium to big size phones.

The only phones I’m really looking into is XS/XS Max, Note 9, Pixel 3, nothing else really.

As far as size is concerned, I would definitely opt for the Max if you can appreciate a larger display and of course, iOS. And in terms of fluidity and overall performance, I don’t think anything really even touches the A12 bionic processor in terms of performance, and depending on how long you plan on actually keeping the phone, of course iOS has the strongest longevity with support, Plus, any other iOS devices is an advantage for syncing.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado

2nd hand...and you’re not into gaming...and you like big phones.........you should get Note 9...Samsung depreciates like crazy apparently. You can get one for a good price.

Nerdyaf

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2019
i appreciate iOS and Android.

I have an iPad Pro 10.5 and I’m looking at getting another phone.

Camera is important to me and I like things on iOS & Android.

At the moment it’s between the XS/XS Max, Note 9 and Pixel 3.

On EBay I’ll pay £450 for the Pixel/Note 9, around £600 for the XS and £750 for the XS Max.

I just can’t decide, what can make up my mind without regretting what I get? I just want to get it right!

haha were you the one who posted another thread and it got hijacked and became a great debate about XS Max vs Note 9?

1) since you already have an iphone 7 (assumes in good condition), i would suggest an android so that you can get the "best of both worlds"

2) the choice between note 9 and pixel is rather easy. note 9 has the better hardware and is more feature packed, while pixel is all about the software. if you take a lot of selfies, definitely pixel 3.

Londoner1982

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Just bought an iPhone XS Max in excellent condition for £649 from a retailer with warranty! Bargain!! It’s a lot of money but it’s a good price.

Question now is I can sell my iPad Pro 10.5 for around £300, will it be redundant now I have the Max?

Thanks.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
Question now is I can sell my iPad Pro 10.5 for around £300, will it be redundant now I have the Max?

I think the answer to that question depends on how you use your iPad. Personally, no, I don’t find that there’s a lot of usage overlap between my XS Max and my iPad. I take calls & do a lot of web browsing on the phone, and a lot of writing/content creation on the iPad. While the latter could be done on the iPhone too, it would be a lot more tedious/time-consuming.

And imo the larger display of the iPad is superior for watching video. Of course that, too, could be done on an iPhone, but I generally find it more enjoyable on a bigger screen. YMMV.

So, I think it’s entirely a personal decision based on your own usage pattern and preferences.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Just bought an iPhone XS Max in excellent condition for £649 from a retailer with warranty! Bargain!! It’s a lot of money but it’s a good price.

Thanks.
I would personally keep hold of your iPad. I have the Xs max but still have my iPad Pro 10.5 and iPad mini 4. Completely different use cases for them both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.