Really stuck on which rMBP to get

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikelegacy, Mar 6, 2014.

  1. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

    mikelegacy

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2010
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #1
    Not necessarily "stuck" but I am debating which upgrades to get. I can't decide whether or not 2.0 GHz quad core is enough juice or not.

    I know I will be upgrading the RAM to 16gb, what do you guys think of the CPU though? Would I need the 2.3 upgrade for the $100?

    Hard drive size is no big deal. I can store things on externals if they are taking too much memory.

    Main uses:

    Photoshop/Illustrator
    Ruby and Wordpress Web development
    Occasional windows use with Bootcamp
    Surfing, etc.

    Just don't have much experience with quad core. I have a quad core 2.7 ghz processor, and I find it pretty speedy, in my 2011 imac, but it's an i5, not and i7. I'm also running 24gb of ram on the iMac (rmbp would be 16gb) Am I going to notice a speed reduction if I go with the 2.0 quad core i7 rMbp?
     
  2. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2010
    #2
    You definitely do not need a CPU upgrade. If your PS use is heavy—professional level intensive workflows—then you might need a dGPU, but otherwise you’ll be fine with Iris Pro.

    It sounds like you know your RAM needs already. If you are planning to get a 256 GB SSD then that settles it. If you want 512 or 1TB then you may as well get the high-end dGPU model, though it will be pricey.

    On the other hand, if you can actually do fine with 8GB RAM, then the base model is quite attractive, especially from the refurb store where it’s only $1,699.
     
  3. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

    mikelegacy

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2010
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #3
    Awesome. That's what I figured.

    I am a professional web designer/developer. That said, I'm not dealing with 1GB photoshop files or huge TIFF images, so I think the GPU is fine...I can't justify the extra $600 for the graphics upgrade when im not doing video editing, etc.

    I needed the 16GB, since I don't want to be screwed when it needs an upgrade in 2.5 years, and I'm happy getting multiple opinions saying the 2.0 to 2.3 GHz is really no big deal.

    That makes up my mind, thanks dude!
     
  4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2011
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #4
    Well if you spend $300 on the RAM and CPU upgrade you are halfway there... the extra 300 also give you a larger SSD.

    But I agree with most others that even the CPU upgrade is not necessary.
     
  5. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #5
    I'd say probably not that much unless you have many of those apps open and running at once. Ram will be the limiting factor with some of those apps and normally I recommend 8gb but based on what you wrote 16gb is probably a better option for you :)
     

Share This Page