Really ugly CD/DVD Rom noises

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jake5253, Jan 4, 2010.

1. jake5253 macrumors newbie

I have here a MacBook4,1. It's 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, white plastic shell, etc. Recently the DVD/CD-rom drive (MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857E) hasn't been working. It emits a terrible grinding noise, a fluttery noise, then more grinding before finally spitting the disc out. I've attached a YouTube video I made so you can hear the sounds yourself, I apologize that it's not great quality, but it's good enough for this purpose. Has my drive kicked the bucket? Or is there something else I can try to fix it? I've reset my PRAM and all that jazz, tried a Lens-cleaning CD, and *gently* beating my computer. None of those methods worked. I don't have AppleCare. That ran out quite some time ago and I don't have the extra dough to send it in to Apple to have it fixed, unless there's a freebie way of doing it I don't know about. If it's kicked the bucket I might just save up and buy a new Mac since this one is getting old. I want one of the fancy aluminum ones because my plastic case continues to have the well-known issue of cracking and chipping away, like they do, where the screen portion closes down onto the base portion.

Youtube video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OlOwewGmzQ

Thanks for your help!

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

A couple bits...

You can get the case fixed out of warranty for free from Apple, they honor cracked case claims on the plastic MacBooks most the time.

For the drive, you can buy a replacement drive from www.macsales.com or www.ifixit.com for a couple examples, instead of replacing the entire computer.