REALLY upset Macbook fan

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jbloch, May 17, 2015.

1. jbloch macrumors newbie

Bought the new 12" Macbook (mid-2015). Good machine. ONLY concern is the USB-C connector. What made me even more upset is that when I bought the Macbook (side-note: in-store Huntington, NY Apple store, 512MB, space grey) they were selling Apple Watch cables... with standard USB... not the new USB-C connector. SERIOUSLY? We're supposed to think USB-C is the new standard but even Apple's new, most advanced products can't connect to the new Macbook with the ONLY port on the machine.

If Apple doesn't update the next-gen iPhones to USB-C (as opposed to lightning adaptors) I'm done with Apple.

I couldn't even buy a USB --> USB-C adaptor in any other stores. I STILL can't connect power and an external USB drive and/or my iPhone at the same time.

I'd be interested in hearing if the new iPhone is indeed going to have USB-C

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You might as well be checking our Android now!
    It will not have the new USB-C connector. You need to buy an adapter!

3. jbloch thread starter macrumors newbie

I can rationalize the new connector and the fact that there's only 1... But not to add cables for new products??? As innovative as Apple is, they have consistently failed with their cable connectors. Jump from 30-pin to lightning was great... but to NOT move everything from lightning to USB-C is terrible. Not even the Watch supports USB-C cable (or can even be purchased with connector???)

I think Apple IS going to update lightning adaptor on iPhones this fall...

You heard it here first

4. PDFierro macrumors 68040

5. amarcus macrumors 6502

I wouldn't put my hopes up that the next iPhone will support USB-C. There are really only 2 ways Apple could do it:

1) USB-C replaces lightning port - unlikely but possible. Lightning is still relatively new. Expect all the mac's to get USB-C before the iOS devices.

2) iPhone ships with lightning->USB-C cable - very unlikely. A cable with lightning on one end and USB-C on the other will be too confusing for the masses (have you seen how similar they look?) although the good news is this will soon be available cheaply from third parties!

I hope I'm wrong as I'd love USB-C to take off,

Adam

6. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

I agree. I'm one for first world problems but this one takes the cake.

Damn OP I'd hate to see how you are when buying a real big-ticket item like a car or house.

7. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

:rolleyes:

You fully knew that the new MB only has one port yet you still went out and bought it and now are ranting. :rolleyes:
    Why did you decide to buy it when you knew it only has one port?

8. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

No way. We knew about its one port in advance? LOL. Somehow I missed the 12000 threads on here bitching about it's one port.

----------

I'm not sure what your rant is. You bought an Ultrabook. It was very clear that it only had one port (and if you didn't notice, USB-A ports are thicker than your entire laptop's width, so you couldn't have overlooked the fact.

The part that baffles me in people like you who respond like that. Apple sells an adaptor for $79 that adds all the ports you're used to (sans thunderbolt but that's a dead technology). You have the CHOICE to buy a dongle to add ports many will chose not to use, or won't need. Can you imagine the screaming if Apple sold the laptop for $1399 and $1699 and included the dongle? People would be up in arms saying how horrible Apple is for forcing them to pay more for a cable-inclusion which they didn't even want. At least now you have a choice: if you want\need it, you can buy it.

Not sure what the big deal is here.

9. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Lol you could just buy a usb-c to lightning cable for like $8 from eBay

problem solved

10. rahulr macrumors regular

I get your frustrations totally, few questions:

Why do you need a USB C apple watch cable? It doesn't need to plug into the macbook for anything? Mine just plugs into a multi-USB outlet and charges. My phone is also in the same outlet.

Next, I've been syncing my iPhone wirelessly for the past 2 or 3 generations, what do you need to transfer between the MB and the phone that requires a physical connection (I'm asking honestly because it's a common theme)?

Finally, there are major advantages with USB-C that I am just now beginning to find out. First, you don't need $80 worth of apple products to charge it. I'm using a $15 charger and $7 cable. Second, it's reduced my clutter significantly. I don't travel with my apple charger, and don't need one for my phone or watch too, because of the previously referenced multi charger. Third, I can charge my MB with a USB Battery pack!!! Finally, when my AV Hub does come: (Sidenote, $80 for essentially a mandatory accessory is a little steep. But there's no other hub with power pass through): Anyway, when it does come, I'll essentially have a mini docking station. One plug out and go...

Still, again, get your issues. We're at the tip of the tip of the bleeding edge of the sword wit this thing. So far to me the compromises have not been significant and am very happy with my machine.

11. noobinator macrumors 601

Your new mb does not have a fan so how can it be upset?

12. rahulr macrumors regular

Lightning gives Apple a lot more than just the space savings over the 30-pin, so I don't see it being replaced with USB C anytime soon. I think the solution already exists in that most if not all IOS devices sync wirelessly. With free services like onedrive and dropbox, you don't ever need to worry about big file transfers either.

13. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

There's exactly *one* notebook in Apple's entire lineup that has a USB-C port. You expect them to update every connector in the company because of that?

I fully expect the new MBP's that come out will continue to have USB-A ports and the Macbook to be the odd one for at least another year.

14. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

It's just feeling left out.

(you set me up for that one!)

15. Costino1 macrumors 6502

Costino1

You knew that it only had a USB-C port and what accessories are currently available.

There are other options if you don't want to lose the ports such as the Air or Pro.

I thought to myself 'dang it just has one USB-C port but oh well I want the iPad form factor' so accepted it as a trade off.

If I wanted a HDMi port, USB, etc; I'd go with the rMBP or Air.

It was a conscious consumer decision i made and don't regret it.

I got the USB dongle for it and honestly, it's been sitting in the package the past week unused.

16. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I'm the same way, I swore the laptop was unusable without it, and now that I have the AV Adaptor, I find that 99% of the time I'm just plugged directly into the power.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'd be really upset too if my new MacBook only came with 512MB of storage.

18. troubleonline macrumors 65816

troubleonline

I hope they don't - I like the lightning connector as very easy to attach to the iPhone or iPad even in the dark. Besides I have not connected my iPhone to my mac by cable for at least 2 or 3 years. Always mains charge.

Am I wrong (and I could well be as not terribly technical) but are we not disputing opposite ends of the cable? How will a USB-C port on the iPhone make a difference? Or are you saying you want to to connect your iPhone to your rMN by a USB-C>>>USB-C cable? What will be the benefit to that?

----------

lol! Am going to embrace it as an opportunity to declutter and organise my digital life :D

19. melb00m macrumors regular

Apple invented Lightning to have a slim connector that allows to build slim iPhones. Why would they reverse that path by using thicker USB-C connectors in mobile devices? I don't think so.

Just buy a USB-C to USB connector for 20 bucks and be over with it.

20. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

This.

21. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

USB-C is gonna make the iPhone thicker. Not gonna happen.

22. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

The elephant in the room that nobody is addressing is the fact that Lightning doesn't and never has supported USB 3 ... to this day, restoring a 128gb iPhone takes far longer than it should in 2015. It's embarrassing.

I don't know if Lightning supports the speeds available via USB 3 or not. One thing is certain, USB-C is the future, and future computers will have USB-C and not USB-A, so to say Apple won't adapt and release a USB-C to Lightning cable at minimum, is uneducated and denial.

It's only a matter of time before they release it. And then the question will be as capacities grow, how long will we tolerate USB 2.0 speeds from Apple.

23. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

People are just now coming out with Lightning headphones. What makes you think Apple would move this year?

24. macsoc macrumors newbie

relax jbloch
    i bought my macbook at the same store. love my new macbook.

i separately ordered 2 USB to USB 3.1 connectors.

ie: USB 3.1 C Male to USB 3.0 A Female Adapter Converter USB Type C Black

You can have it for $5 if you need it quickly. I can meet you later today if you want it...I will be passing by Walt Whitman (mall) later in the afternoon today.

25. melb00m macrumors regular

If we learn one lesson from the new Retina MacBook and iCloud, it is that Apple does not believe in wired data transfer any more. Not for it's future laptops, and certainly not for iOS devices.

The only thing I use the lightning connector on my iPhone for is charging. Nothing else.