Really want a iphone 6+ without contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JBazz, Jan 3, 2015.

1. JBazz macrumors 6502

I currently have an iPhone 5s from Virgin. I really want a 6+, but virgin and boost don't have. I like paying $43.67 each month without all the hidden extras that come with the big carriers. Sprint net work would be nice because it is the only service in my work area.

Is there any way I can use my current SIM card in a 6+ and keep virgin? Or Boost?

I tried reading thru the other thread and got confused. Thanks for any help.

2. nickprete11 macrumors regular

No. A Sprint iPhone will not work on Virgin Mobile for stupid reasons that only Sprint knows. You're just going to need to wait on a Virgin Mobile model or switch carriers. T-Mobile is a good deal if it works in your area. Or as you mentioned Sprint does, you could go postpaid with them.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

4. JBazz thread starter macrumors 6502

And how do I activate an iPhone from apple? I don't mind paying full price, it's the monthly bill that bothers me.

5. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

if you dont to wait till virgin mobile has an iPhone 6+ your only choice right now
    is to buy one full price at the apple store and switch carriers

its bad news. i know.

at least you can port your number

don't cancel virgin mobile. call the other carrier and sign up and give them your virgin mobile account number, and that will cancel virgin mobile and move the phone number

AT&T and t-mobile and various other AT&T and T-mobile MVNOs like cricket will work fine with your new Phone.

i would hold off till march 2015. at the most. maybe the cell phone unlocking will kick in and virgin and boost and sprint will offer unlocking

6. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I switched from Virgin to T-Mobile a few years ago and it was SUCH a good move. $30 a month. I buy my phones from Apple or Best Buy (for Samsung stuff). Faster network, and a phone that sells fir a lot more when you are ready to upgrade because it's unlocked

7. MiniMi macrumors member

Buy the phone from Apple put you SIM card in it...done. You won't have to do anything else

8. CEmajr macrumors 601

OP is on Virgin Mobile. It's a Sprint prepaid CDMA carrier that requires customers to use phones specifically made for that network so a phone from Apple would not work.

OP needs to switch carriers or go to Sprint proper.

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

Buy iPhone --> stick in SIM card --> voila! :)

10. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I'm often shocked to see how tied to carriers you Americans are :eek:

11. MiniMi macrumors member

Ah didn't really ze he was prepaid

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not as easy as you guys think. Just buy a full priced iphone and you're done.
    His carrier will not allow it to be used or activated on its network.
    In his case I'd just change carriers. In this day and age to have to rely on a carrier that wont allow whatever device you want even if its compatible on their network then that's like holding your line hostage.
    Break free and go on a GSM carrier. There's plenty of prepaid ones with great coverage and monthly prices.

13. beany boy macrumors 6502

beany boy

14. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Me too. Would you exchange her with an almost new Megan Fox?

15. Apple Trees macrumors 6502

Switch to a real carrier and you will have the luxury of no contract iPhones being available to you on day 1.

16. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

17. JBazz thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sorry but I'm just not interested in a "real carrier". I was with them for years before I switched. I love knowing exactly what my monthly bill will be. A $39.99 plans cost exactly $43.13. With contract carriers, I would sign up for a plan around $40 and the bill would almost always come in over $75. There are too many extra fees and then if had to wait on them to ship me a replacement when lost. No thanks.

18. mjb59463 macrumors 6502

I was in your shoes a while back.

I decided to sign up for the BarclayCard Apple financing, and ended up buying a unlocked 6 plus. 12 months no interest (I believe), and my phone is already paid off because I never intended to carry a balance for more than 2 months with it, but I had the flexibility to stretch it out a little as well and not have the balance grow on me.

If you want a new unlocked iPhone, but want to have some flexibility in paying for it, this is the route I would take.

They also offer that no-interest promo at various times during the year, and I'll be using it to purchase future iPhones off-contract and pay them off at my convenience. I'm done being tied to a carrier.

19. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Sounds like you need to do some more research when you sign up for a plan. I've never had more than $10 in taxes and fees on a single line before.

20. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

That is OK, we are shocked to see what you people will pay for a phone.:apple:

21. 617aircav Suspended

I just came back from the UK and was surprised that on contract one could get the iPhone for free. No American carrier offers this.