really want iPhone4 but despise ATT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brendu, Jun 7, 2010.

1. brendu macrumors 68020

So i'm on sprint, I have a pre, its okay, played with the evo, its cool but android is lacking.. I think the iPhone is still the best overall package available. Thats the iPhone, not att's plans.. att can suck my ***** before I get a plan with them. Im really irritated that its going to be another year before we MIGHT see a non ATT iPhone, and to be honest verizons plans can suck my ***** too.

Does anyone know of a way to get an iPhone with unlimited texting and the 2MB data for under $79 a month with att... minimum minutes is fine I dont talk a lot. I simply will not pay more than that when sprint gives me unlimited EVERYTHING for $69 a month. It is ridiculous. (FYI I do qualify for a educators discount with ATT, I think its like 15%)

My other solution might be to get the updated iPod Touch or iPad this september, a sprint 3G/4G modem at $30 a month, and then the cheapest phone I can get through sprint or t-mobile. But thats hardly desirable.

2. btrav13 macrumors 6502

Why not just wait it out, like I am? I don't have ATT either, but if you get the "coolest device on the block" and drop calls and get terrible data speeds, then what's the point? You're just carrying around a flashy paper weight at a higher cost?

This will NOT be the best iPhone to ever come out...the 2011 will be better, then the 2012, then the 2013 and so on...and at some point (maybe this year), this thing is going somewhere else. It's only a matter of time.

3. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Service varies by location. Period.

Don't go by what people say on here when it comes to their OWN SERVICE EXPERIENCE. I did for years and missed out. I got a 3G and was hooked and have a 3GS and will be getting the 4. Service is no better/worse than Verizon for me. Internet is faster though.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Talk to friends that at&t, OP and see what their experience is.

5. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

Im not worried about service, Most of my friends have iPhones, 3G's and 3Gs'... but for them either their companies are paying for the bill, or their parents are still hookin them up... neither of which are the case for me. My beef with ATT is not service, thats fine here... its the pricing, its insane, and insulting. Why on earth should I have to pay $20 for unlimited texting when sprint charges me nothing. Same goes for data, which isnt even unlimited anymore.

What I want to know is if anyone knows how to get a monthly iPhone bill with unlimited texting and the 2GB data for under $79 a month. otherwise forget ATT I will stick it out and wait.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Lets see....

$40 for 450 minutes
    $20 for unlimited text
    $25 for 2GB data plan

That is $85 before taxes, fees, etc. Your Sprint plan would have similar taxes and fees, I am assuming.

If you do qualify for a 15% discount that would lower your total to $72.25. Not too far off of your target price.

7. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

You can use a free app like Textfree Unlimited for all your Text Messaging (they give you a seperate phone number for sending and recieving text messages). The app is like $3.

If you're willing to do that, you can get minimum minutes and 2gb data for $65 plus your employers 15% discount.

8. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

thanks guys... I might have to stroll over to an ATT store and see what they will do for me with discounts and everything... Im not keen on using a texting app only because I hate having to use separate numbers and expect my friends to keep track of it... for the people I talk to regularly that might be okay but not for people I rarely talk to...

If the discount can get me below $80 I might go for it... especially since the EVO is $80 on sprint because of gay 4G charges... but with my edu discount thats actually $69... im paying $59 with sprint right now...

Oh why did apple have to get into this love affair with ATT... its not very "open" of them...

9. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

The reason why ATT pricing looks so bad, compared to other carriers, is that they are the only carrier that has the iphone. The iphone is a premium smartphone, compared to a blackberry or another device, and it is masively popular. Therefore ATT knows it can charge a premium for things like texting and data usage, as compared to their other plans. If Sprint or Verizon had the iphone their pricing plans would go up as well, compared to their other phones.

Actually I think the new data rates and a reasonable voice plan is pretty good for the iphone.

10. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

See what they can come up with. You will really enjoy it either way. I have to also say NO to the text free app or whatever. Good for those that want something cheap, but it's kinda crappy to have another number and all your txt's are going through a third party and DEPEND on that service. No thanks.

11. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

AT&T is garbage. Don't listen to the Apple fanboys when they tell you that their AT&T service 'works fine.' Fanboys will defend any decision by Apple, even the poorest of the poorest decisions. The iPhone is an excellent device, and I would buy it in a heartbeat if it were on T-Mobile USA, or at least supported T-Mobile USA's 1700 MHz 3G frequency.

12. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Wow. Talk about a fanboi. T-Mobile? Really?

Yeah, your post just took a 2h1t on credibility :)

13. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

I dont listen to anyone on here regarding performance, I have had plenty of real world experience with my friends iPhones over the years and know they work fine here. My area has perfectly good service with all 4 major US carriers...

also regarding the previous poster claiming the iPhone would be more expensive with a Verizon or Sprint plan if they had it. I disagree... if anything it would be cheaper due to competition. It would benefit us all if they had to compete with each other for the best iPhone plan... Apple better come out full force next year when this exclusivity **** is done.

14. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

Please don't tell me what my service experience has been like in my area. I have had no problems with AT&T. I've only been postpaid for a few months, but I did have prepaid with them for over a year before I went postpaid (a total of about a year and a half). I have had a couple of dropped calls in all of that time, which is a LOT better than the service I had with TMobile. I also HATE their "customer service", just like I did when I had Verizon's landline service.

15. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

I too am very dissapointed at no mention of sprint for the new iphone
    these guys are idiots, same old waiting game
    and its not worth waiting for any more.
    im gettin too old for the treat dangling on the end of a fishing pole trick