Really weird bug...

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by KeepCalmPeople, Apr 23, 2013.

1. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.3:
    I receive an e-mail that contains a hyperlink to somebody's Facebook profile. When I click on the link, it launches the Lloyd's TSB bank app from the UK App Store (which I have installed). This behavior is reproducible.
    I have checked the URL of the link and it is a Facebook profile.

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

3. ParagJain macrumors 6502

Only hope you haven't put any credential information for that link, if yes, time to change few passwords, especially linked to your credit cards ...

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

And contact your bank NOW and get your cards changed...It's a phising attempt for certain.

5. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Why would u even open a random link emailed to u?
    It's not a bug...it worked perfectly...For the phisher that is. I'd change all ur passwords and get new credit cards ASAP.

6. KeepCalmPeople thread starter macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Well it was an e-mail from Facebook, notifying me of a post made to a page I follow (I receive these e-mails regularly but don't usually click on any links). I confirmed that the post was in fact made on Facebook. I even clicked on the person's name in the Facebook post and it brings up their profile page.
    I guess it could be phishing, but I find it hard to believe given the URL. The banking app does not automatically log in so I think my credentials are safe.

7. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

people get emails with spoofed links all the time.

8. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

And he's lucky that the link only launched the secure app, on other systems it probably leads to a fake version of the bank's website.

9. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

thats usually the case indeed. i always hover over embedded links in emails to see what the real URL is. i just tend to never click on one. if someone sends me a link by email, which is rare nowadays with the advent of SMS, imessage and other forms of messaging, i always reply asking them if they really sent me a link. if not, i wont click.

10. KeepCalmPeople, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013

KeepCalmPeople thread starter macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

If I click on the same link in the email on my iPad, it takes me to my Facebook app...just as it should.
    I'm telling you, it's a legit email, the URLs are legit and I think there is a parsing bug of some sort in iOS. I don't have the same banking app installed on my iPad, but I don't think that would make a difference.

Update: Just for the hell of it I installed the same iPhone banking app (there is no iPad version) that I have on my iPhone, on my iPad. When I click on the link in the email it still takes me to Facebook on my iPad.

11. John T macrumors 68020

John T

The OP seems to have broken the obvious rule where security is concerned.

Never, ever, open or click on links contained in unsolicited emails, texts etc. Simply delete immediately. If the message is genuine, they'll contact you again.

12. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

13. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

You should open the email up using a computer and mouse over the link to see what the URL is.

14. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

then do whatever it asks you to

15. KeepCalmPeople thread starter macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

It wasn't unsolicited. I have my Facebook e-mail notifications set up to e-mail me whenever someone posts a comment on a school page in Facebook. I receive similar e-mails to the one in question 2 or 3 times a day.

----------

Oh dear, I don't think you understand the e-mail I received. It was a notification, not a request to do anything.

----------

The 'From' is the same on mine:
    Notification+(random string)@facebookmail.com

Thanks for taking the time to comment everyone, but I can see that nobody believes it could possibly be anything other than phishing.

----------

Already done that - It is the URL of a Facebook profile.