really weird glitch in new aluminum macbook.. you too?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nickslivestri, Nov 23, 2008.

1. nickslivestri macrumors newbie

well when i was waiting for something to load yesterday, i was rubbing my phone against the right side of my macbook, and then it went into sleep mode, and then came back out of it. i tried this again and it happens every time!
    the phone i used was an enV, and it was opened up, so the volume controls were touching the side of the computer. also, if you just have it closed and the phone is upside down, putting that right on the top right of the laptop also does this.

also, when i was running windows xp and i did it, it went to sleep, but didnt wake up until i pressed a button, and when it did, a red light came out of the headphone jack.......
    freeaakkky..

2. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

It's not a glitch per se. That red light is the optical audio output that the jack is capable of putting out. It's turned off under OS X, but generally not in XP. No big deal.

3. nickslivestri thread starter macrumors newbie

okay...

okay, but it still does that other stuff too...

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The reason for that is due to in part by the magnetic latch. You see, there's a magnet in the screen that instead of holding the lid closed activates a sensor that indicated the lid is closed and puts the computer to sleep. For some reason, rubbing your phone against the side of your MacBook led the sensor to believe the lid was closed, probably because of a magnet in your phone or some sort of radio interference with the sensor.

5. nickslivestri thread starter macrumors newbie

oooo thanks!
    lol i was scared i messed something up or something!

6. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Most likely it was the magnet on the speaker of the phone

7. yoavcs macrumors regular

So you find yourself rubbing your phones all over your laptops for no apparent reason and the fact that they shut off is what causes you to freak out?
    ;)

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Aww. didn't do that to my cheap LG phone! Nice find though. :confused::eek::cool: