Really weird problem, help please?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tigerj360, Jul 7, 2011.

1. tigerj360 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I'm new here so go easy

I have searched around the forum for ages trying to find an answer to this one but no luck...

Basically I was using my iPhone4 16GB and it had around 40% battery. when i went to use it half an hour later it would not turn on or show any signs of life. It is jailbroken using the latest green poison.

I began by trying a hard reset, nothing no sign of life. Still i have so far tried:

Holding center button while plugging into a computer
    Hard reset
    Holding center button for ten seconds then trying to power on (the proximity sensor problem)
    Charging over night and trying a hard reset
    Basically everything that has been suggested

Now the weird thing is when i enter DFU mode itunes recognises it and says it needs a restore. so i try and it comes up with error 1603

I really don't know what to do so if any one could help i would owe them big time!

Plus if it is in restore mode does that mean the evidence of a jailbreak has been wiped and i could just take it back to an apple store?

Thanks for reading

Jon

2. AppleBoyFreak macrumors 6502

One time i had an apple appointment the next day so i jailbroke right quick to see what it was like and the same thing happpened. Apple couldnt get the iPhone to turn on so they replaced it. take it to apple. (the appointment i made was because the back of my iphone clicked and it would over heat without being used, but then that happened so i was going to get a replacement anyways)

3. tigerj360 thread starter macrumors newbie

So it should be ok to take back since its in restore mode?

4. Stanjara macrumors member

wierd solution

You are probably using win xp. When you get 160..error go to your c: documents then user, then find hidden folder Application data, then apple computer, then itunes, and than erase everything inside

Then turn off itunes and start them over...it will again say found apple device in restore mode...then restore it again...you will now get a black screan and after some time anoter 160..error.....that fine

Erase itunes folder again...stay connected with your device...turn itunes off and on and start over....after clicking restore on a blank black screan you will get an apple and a progress bar and taaadaaa!!!

5. AppleBoyFreak macrumors 6502

Haha, if they cant turn it on while youre there then they will never know and youll leave with a new iphone. first try what this person said to save you a trip. ^

6. tigerj360 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks dude, will try this now. Im on a mac though so is there any difference in the instructions?

7. Stanjara macrumors member

Hmm

I dont know for mac...but try to find application data, apple computer and itunes and erase contents inside...itunes will create new ones

8. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

No big deal, just return it. Apple sees these kinds of things all the time.

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

10. tigerj360 thread starter macrumors newbie

how do i do that on a mac? cheers

11. tigerj360 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried it and it didnt work :( thanks for the suggestion though :)

Looks like its going to the apple store

12. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Open up a terminal, edit /etc/hosts file. Look for anything that has to do with apple. Comment it out.

13. icewing macrumors 6502

^ this. I had the same sort of problem (Win XP tho), found/commented stuff in my Hosts file, and it finally worked. These entries were used by one of the jailbreak solutions to redirect stuff from Apple, which prevented the restore from working.

14. tigerj360 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to be a pain im a complete noob when it comes to this stuff.

What does comment it out mean and what do i do to find the files?

15. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Hello user,

Look at your iphone, now back to mine, now back to yours, NOW BACK TO MINE. Sadly it isn't mine, but it could star working like mine you stopped jailbreaking and started using your phone with factory settings. :p

I'm on a PC.