Really Weird Problem... No Power at all, runs perfectly off the battery...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by meringues, Mar 7, 2009.

1. meringues macrumors member

Hi All,

Last week, I took apart my previously white MacBook (from late '06) and basically transported everything to a black casing. Somehow, after the process, I was left with two problems, one far more serious than the other...
    1) It will not charge, nor will it even detect that the MagSafe is plugged in. Nothing.
    2) One of my RAM slots is out of commission for whatever reason.

Before that, I already had an issue where it wouldn't sleep when I closed the lid.
    I tried changing the MagSafe board... It initially didn't work. Then it worked on 2 separate occasions from two different chargers. Now it doesn't work. I'm currently running on battery power and the laptop appears to be perfectly functional other than the problems I noted above.
    Is it even worth taking in to have it looked at by a Genius or do I need a new Logic Board?

2. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Well, first, a Genius will give it right back to you unfixed once he realizes that you've tampered with the machine.

As for what you did... did you take adequate static precautions? Assuming you've put it back together correctly, the first thing I think of when reading the issues you listed is that you've zapped something.

3. meringues thread starter macrumors member

That's my sneaking suspicion as well... I guess I wasn't careful enough.

4. sofijka2008 macrumors newbie

I have very similar problem

Hi ALL,
    You guys are the last hope for me here.Very good friend of mine has very similar problem to Power the laptop.She bought MBwhite 1year ago,she doesn't use it much,she does carefully anything on it (by the way ...anybody knows how long the warranty for MB is?) and it looks like MagSafe power adapter is dead.MB doesn't want to start at all. I would like to solve this problem because it was me who recommended Mac to her.Very welcome any sugestions

5. gjw4u macrumors 6502

Without Applecare, the warranty \lasts 1 year, otherwise 3. Has your friend tried using a different power-supply?