Really Weird Problem With A Folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Axemantitan, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Axemantitan macrumors 6502

I have one folder on my computer that was working normally until last night. Now, when I try to open it, it causes all folders and windows on my desktop to disappear for a second and then reappear. I can't get into the folder that causes the problem.

The folder is on an external HD. I made a duplicate on my internal HD and the exact same problem occurs.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

What it sounds like is happening is the Finder is crashing and automatically relaunching whenever you try to open that folder. Presumably there is something corrupt inside, and when the Finder tries to generate the icon preview of it it crashes. There could be something else causing the crash, but that seems most likely. This is why the problem follows it regardless of location--copying it copies the bad file as-is.

Assuming there are important things in that folder so you don't want to just throw it away, I can't actually give you any particularly useful advice. In the event nobody here has a good suggestion a Google search on Finder Crash will hopefully point you to something useful.

If you don't know what's in the folder and just want a list, you can do this:

Go to the Utilities folder in your Applications folder and open Terminal. In the window that appears, type "ls -l " (with a space after the trailing L--and those are both lowercase "L"s), then drag the folder onto the window. It should add some text along the lines of "/Users/you/Desktop/thefoldername". Now hit return, and it should show you a list of all the files inside the folder. If there's one that you think might be the problem I or someone else here can walk you through deleting it via the terminal.

3. aaron11193 macrumors regular

aaron11193

Karumba/Cairns/Charters Towers, QLD, Australia
    PROTIP: If a folder won't open/crashes Finder, use the Terminal to find the problem ;)

EDIT: My tag says noob but I've used OS X and Linux for years :) The "Command Prompt" in Winblows disgusts me, especially the Windows 7 one.

4. Axemantitan thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried this method and looked at the list of files, but I can't think of what might have happened. The folder and its contents were working fine the other day and then all of a sudden stopped working. If anybody knows of any other way to diagnose the problem, please tell me. Otherwise, thank you for the attempt to help.

5. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

this may not do much, but have you tried to repair permissions?

Also verify the external disk in Disk Utility, incase there are sectors being corrupted

6. Axemantitan thread starter macrumors 6502

I verified and repaired disk permissions on the internal HD (my startup disk), no change. I verified the external HD, but there were no problems. I couldn't verify or repair permissions on the external HD. Is that even possible?

7. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

lol apparently not, I just tried.

If verification passed the disk should be fine, so maybe a program somehow corrupted it