really weird system cpu usage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by inthemountainai, Jun 11, 2012.

1. inthemountainai, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2012

inthemountainai macrumors newbie

so i just got my macbook back from getting serviced they had to replace the logic board and after boot up ive been getting really weird cpu usage [​IMG] im just not sure what to do

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Weird, in what way?

3. inthemountainai thread starter macrumors newbie

see the picture??

4. RSully macrumors member

change it from "my processes" to "all" and you'll see whats really using it

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, I see the picture. There's nothing "weird" about it. Boom is taking a lot of CPU, which isn't normal, but it's not weird. mdworker usage indicates Spotlight might be indexing, but again, that's not weird. As RSully suggested, if you want to get a more complete picture:

1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the whole Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I may be wrong but the ~83% "System" CPU usage seems a bit strange. The graphs also show all four cores as basically maxed out.

All of the processes visible in Activity Monitor would add up to roughly 60% CPU usage. It's already sorted by max CPU usage so there shouldn't be anything hiding further down.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That would be consistent with Spotlight indexing, as evidenced by the mdworker process using so much CPU.