Resolved Really weird thing during startup after a power failure

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by johnhw, Jul 16, 2011.

1. johnhw, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

johnhw macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Anyone guess what happened on here? Did the disk did a repair or something? This was the first time I've encountered this on my whole OS X life.

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

It's different from the snow leopard one but it looks like it went into deep sleep.(on SL it's bars not continuous)

3. johnhw thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you tell me what "Deep Sleep" is? I really confused at the moment. It was really slow (around 30 minutes). It's fine right now though.

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I have the feeling it may have booted from the recovery partition.

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

As far as I know (which may not be much ) it writes the contents of Ram to the hard drive and then shuts everything down,on restarting it hauls it all back into memory (the progress bar ) when it's finished your back to exactly where it was when it went to sleep. I don't know much about Lions repair partition but it seems unlikey it would boot off that without giving you some sort of indication.

6. johnhw thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, it was a power failure it couldn't move my work all the fast.. Though it did Resume when it finished booting up. All was Normal as if the power didn't go out.

7. Peterkro, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I'm a bit out of my depth here,what computer? If it's a iMac or Mac Pro a power cut will likely just kill the computer,now whether the Pram battery will enable a write to disk and a deep sleep state I don't know.Obviously a battery powered Mac will act differently.After an uncontrolled shut down it's as well to do a disk repair and then repair permissions,in case something got corrupted as a result of files being written to when a sudden loss of power occurs.

(actual the answer to this may be, was your computer in regular sleep mode when the power cut occurred? because in sleep mode it keeps the Ram loaded but also writes it to the hard drive for the very reason that if a power failure occurs while in sleep mode it can still recover because there is a copy on the hard drive.Hence on a restart it will automatically come out of deep sleep ).

8. johnhw thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm using an iMac. Some other person that I was doing many stuff on the disk during the power failure. The disk had to be cleaned up for that reason. I'll guess this is already resolved. :)