Really weird trackpad problem....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peanutismint, Nov 16, 2010.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I've been using my trackpad on my unibody MBP for about a year now. I use the 'tap to click' setting, as I don't see a need to 'click' the pad when I can just tap it. However, today something very strange started happening - when I tap with one finger to do a single left click, it reacts as if I've done a middle click, activating the 'expose' function. Two finger tap still does right click, and my multi-finger swipes still activate their preset 'expose' functions, but single click has somehow broken....

Furthermore, adding to the 'weirdness', if I 'tap to click' on the left side of my trackpad, it works as it should, but anywhere towards the middle/right malfunctions as described above - I've looked to see if I've inadvertently ticked a function that causes it to work in this way, where a tap on the left, middle or right of the trackpad causes it to react as if it's doing a left, middle or right mouse click, but can't see anything....

Any ideas???!

2. Kyffin macrumors 6502

Sorry no ideas to help, but this is does happen in both tap and click mode- the trackpad sometimes confuses one and two fingers, don't know why (or how; don't have sausage fingers or anything).

Yeah, not great but at a guess I get it every 20-40 clicks or so, how often is this happening?

3. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

It's not a sporadic thing unfortunately - it's constant with every click. I do have fat fingers but COME ON! :-D

4. noxtos macrumors member

noxtos

The same thing happened to me 5 mins ago. Resetting PRAM helped.

Turn off your macbook. Turn it on again while simultanously pressing and holding the four keys Option, Command, P, and R until you hear the startup gong.

5. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Good idea - will try that! :)

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Does regular clicking work okay? If you have a removable battery on your Macbook, try taking it out and see if the problems persist.

I had a similar problem that grew worse over time. It turns out the battery was swelling and putting pressure on the trackpad. Apple replaced it, no questions asked.

Just a thought.

7. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint