Really - why buy a MBP over the MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bananabar, Oct 20, 2008.

1. bananabar macrumors regular

In the old days, paying the extra got you a lot more computer - aluminium case, much faster processor, larger drive, bigger ram, backlit keyboard, DVD writer etc etc.

But the new MBP really doesn't seem to be £700 better. I have the old MBP and I wouldn't replace it with the new one... I'd just get a MacBook.

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

3. polar-blair macrumors regular

Firewire, 15" screen, Two Graphics card (both dedicated unlike the MB still) Faster processor, HD is changeable with out voiding warranty.

4. cube macrumors G4

5. cubedweller macrumors 6502

I guess the only tangible difference between the two for the average user is the screen size. Some feel 13.3 to be just too small; I'm sort of in this camp. Power users would be upset at the lack of FireWire and the reduced graphics capabilities. Other than that, their identical. Too each his own.

6. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

7. ~Wibble~ macrumors member

a proper graphics card, not an integrated chipset which some programs are giving limited support for now.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's the reason for me to buy one. :(

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

10. henhowc macrumors regular

11. bananabar thread starter macrumors regular

And you'd pay £700 for that?? I bloody wouldn't.

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

... and screen, and graphics card, and hard drive, and illuminated keyboard, and faster CPU. If you just want the firewire, buy a MacBook and an adapter for $100.

13. elmz macrumors regular

For the average user they will not see a difference. But if you are looking for a desktop replacement with high performance you will notice a huge difference. You can't game or do heavy video/graphic editing on a MB. Well you can, but it won't be a good experience.

14. lkraven macrumors newbie

Interesting that no one has mentioned the fact that the MBP has a larger display with a higher resolution.

The 13" is a little cramped for me. The 17" is too heavy. The 15" is just about right, though I wish the display were a little higher resolution.

15. tsvb macrumors 6502

Firewire and decent graphics.

They have really made the distinction between the consumer and pro lines grey at best.

16. rjp macrumors regular

screen quality

The MBP has a better screen. Aside from resolution, the overall image quality is better in terms of viewing angle, max contrast ratio, and color accuracy. Look on gizmodo for the report if interested.

17. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

Bigger screen and killer discount with ADC Student Membership :D

18. bananabar thread starter macrumors regular

That's on the MacBook now too. Next.

19. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Never liked macbooks, have had a few and sold them ASAP. I have always preferred the powerbook and MBP looks. Now it is simply the screen res.

20. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Are you saying that the new MBP doesn't come with a faster processor or larger drive?

Which adapter is this?

21. bananabar thread starter macrumors regular

I agree - but makes sense to me to buy a MacBook and then spend the £700 saved on a soft case, some software, a (non-FW) external drive, a new digital camera, some DVDs, a new pair of jeans, some shoes, a watch and maybe even a fetching cap.

22. Star-fire macrumors 6502

The 13" screen gets really cramped when trying to do anything at all in Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, etc.. I like the firewire port also. Granted if they made a 15" macbook, I'd get it instead but alas they don't and never will.

23. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I agree with this, it's the reason I exchanged the MacBook a MacBook Pro, the screen quality is amazing in comparison - more vivid colours and much better viewing angles.

24. bananabar thread starter macrumors regular

All in the last week??