Realmac Clear+ and Clear - how not to market an app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Crusoe, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Crusoe macrumors regular

The lack of thought in Realmac's strategy is baffling. I can understand forking Clear into two apps (I might not agree with it, but I can understand it). But now to merge them back together, and to make the remaining app free (albeit temporarily) means there's a presumably sizeable number of users like me who paid once for Clear, again for Clear+, and now see the latest app available for free.

It's not even just Clear. Analog Camera was a nice simple photo editor, yet less than a year after release (May to December 2013) Realmac announced they were ceasing development and looking for a buyer for it. Again, customers lose out.

They may design lovely, usable apps, but Realmac really need a much better handle on their PR and business strategy. Customers will only take so much of their time and money being wasted.

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Oh, well, that makes me happy since I didn't bother with Clear+ and just have the original still. :eek:

But yeah, I agree. I think this is a sign that they're struggling. Courier didn't work out, Hatch has pretty much failed because it took way too long to finally ship and just is a very lacking game, for the same price of Analog Camera you can get Camera+ (which I've had and have used since it debuted), and RapidWeaver is no longer very useful when Squarespace, WordPress, Wix, and may other places do everything for a smaller investment, much better.

Ember is great, but I only use the free iOS version, and will probably buy the add-ons but skip the Mac version entirely.

Which is probably the case for most people, especially since we're in a "Post-PC" stage (I'm not, but others are).

3. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Was as of 8PM EST yesterday....got it for my iPad.