Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I think this app is for app and web developers, thus 'justifying' its high price. The video is not good marketing, making it seem, as one has already said, like an expensive Pinterest client. Isn't Ember a Javascript framework too?

Gus Van Der Mee

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2013
Resources wasted. Maybe they should update RapidWeaver, the one application that is really good and worth the price asked for it.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Okay, I just spent the minute and a half watching their promo video, and I still have no idea what the app does, other than that I think it somehow relates to collecting images. But that I mostly know because it said "Your digital scrapbook" in text at the end.

I also have no idea whatsoever why this would be worth $50 to me.

Forget app store price deflation. Whether in the shareware/boxed software days or now, there are only two kinds of software I'm going to spend $50+ on: Software that does something I actually need for business purposes for whatever it is I personally do to make money, or an absolute must-have program that is going to make my life drastically easier or be so much fun to use that there's no way I wouldn't buy it.

That's why I might have paid $50 for a new game I really wanted, and I'd gladly pay $100 for a major OS upgrade. Or an absolutely killer utility--something like iPhoto, for example, or maybe Delicious Library if you're a collector and really into your stuff. But you have to have one hell of a scrapbooking app to have convinced me to pay $50 for it 5 years ago. Today, the bar is even higher.

But, hey, if it's well done, I hope it succeeds--maybe it really is that much of a killer app for scrapbooking fiends. I wish them luck finding that fanatical user base. Seriously though, guys, you're not helping any with the video of trendy people in their hip urban homes doing... something with software.

mollyparrot

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2013
$50 for what???

----------

Evernote is getting better and better...

I really like Circus Ponies Notebook. I use the mac version more than the iPad, but both are nice. If you hate skeuomorphic apps, you'll probably dislike it, but the organizational features, indexing, templates, etc are very nice and pretty powerful. I used it constantly throughout grad school.

http://www.circusponies.com

briandesmond

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2010
Salem, MA
It looks pretty neat, but it's just way overpriced.

Littlesnapper would go on sale every once in a while for $5. I'll wait for Ember to do the same to pick it up.

nick42983

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2009
Warsaw, Poland
What a crap promotional video. Half the video is the camera panning around the actors and looking at their hands, not the content! What's the point of this software, how is it superior to Evernote? I love Clear, including the price. I could see this software going for $9.99 tops. If they make money at $49.99, more power to them, I'm maxed out on productivity software, and what bizarro planet are these actors and sets supposed to represent. I guess this makes sense if you're marketing to idle WASPS who have nothing better to do.

JBunkers

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2008
In the middle
Breaking the bank

I love how the kid in the video with the iMac has it setting on a slab of wood and a couple of sawhorses. I guess after buying this app, that's all the desk he can afford. :eek:

Last edited:

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
I was very exited to get this Ember App! Then when an email arrived saying it was available on the Mac App Store I went faster than light search for it saw the price, search for an alternative and finally I'm enjoying my Pixa App in my iMac! Thanx Real Mac Software for push me to buy another app way better for less! ;)

----------

I'm a big fan of Sparkbox http://www.icyblaze.com/sparkbox/ Its basically like Ember but $30 cheaper, its available in the app store for $20.

Pixa App is better and it's on sale now too! Pixa App On Sale

airdrop

Cancelled
Oct 1, 2011
Never!

the price is f... joke ...

It will be same client approach like LittleSnapper (which I bought for 30 euro or something like that, expensive anyway), after some time they decided not support customers (no upgrades, no answers) and now same story.

NEVER!

Supertecnoboff

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
UK
£35 ($50) for this? Don't get me wrong, its bad that App Stores are deflating the price of applications but still...... When you think about it all this app allows you to do is to get images, organise them, annotate them and then share them....

Is that really worth $50? I don't think so......

----------

The only thing I liked about that video was the actress at the end.

foxdougan

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2007
Why the hell would I pay $50 when I already use Evernote with Chrome web clipper for free.

I WOULD pay $5 for it, if it were better at clipping than Evernote, otherwise I'll stick with the already decent free app thank you very much!

I never used Clear either, as I like to input my reminders using Siri (not their fault but the fact remains).

Reduce the price by 90% and I will consider Ember.

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I am sadden by nearly everyone griping about high price. Folks, this app has limited market and it cannot be priced like typical mobile app.

Except you can duplicate virtually all of the functionality (except "subscriptions") with Evernote for free, and it's available on every platform and device.

Mad Pierre

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009
I hope Realmac look at these forums

Seems like 99.9% of us agree. I've been hunting high and low for something like this, it looks perfect, I could really use it to gather design inspirations - but there is no way I'm paying $50 - or anything like that - for it. Far too expensive.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm disappointed with realmacsoftware.

I'm a user of littlesnapper and its a handy little app. I could see the developer expanding its abilities and rebranding it but to charge 50 dollars for this is a bit much. They don't offer a demo version like they have in the past and they do not offer any upgrades to existing owners.

In the scope of things, its not a huge amount, but by the same token, its not an app that does a heck of lot either.

At the very least they could have offered an intro pricing, that's a bit lower then the 50.

I'm not looking to buy apps for pennies on the dollar that a developer worked hard on, but by the same token if I'm a loyal customer, it would be nice to see some reward to sticking with them (I use a number of their apps).

No one's holding a gun to my head and forcing me to buy it, so I'll probably pass on until I see the price goes down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.