MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Clear and Ember developer Realmac Software today launched Typed, a new Markdown writing app for the Mac that emphasizes a minimal, responsive UI with multiple export features and customizable typefaces.

typed_app_1-800x500.png
When a user is writing inside of Typed, the app's interface automatically scales text to fit the current window size and contains a live character and word count functionality. Content written inside of the app can also be automatically exported to a number of formats including HTML, RTF, and PDF with auto save and auto preview options.

typed_app_2-800x500.png
The app also contains a full screen feature called "Zen Mode" which includes six soundtracks designed to help a writer's focus, and contains six font choices with one signature typeface that differentiates headers from body text. Typed also contains intelligent cursor placement when formatting text, keyboard shortcuts akin to other writing applications, and support for OS X Yosemite and OS X Mavericks.

Typed is available for $19.99 from the Realmac Software store.

Article Link: Realmac Software Launches 'Typed', a Markdown Writing App Featuring a Minimal Interface

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
Is this the type of software that authors use when writing books?

Comment

dz-015

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
At that price I think I'll stick with Mou, thanks.

Edit: ignore that. Apparently Mou is going to be the same price when it hits version 1.0. Oh well.

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

No, I don't think so.

My mother (a top selling author on Amazon) uses Word.

I'm not really sure what this type of app would be useful for.

It seems like it's both too much and too little to be a text editor (the kind of program code is written in, examples are Text Edit, Notepad++, and Sublime)

But it also seems too little to be a word processor (the kind of program in which you write something that you plan on printing out, examples are Pages and Word.)

I guess maybe this would be more like a note taking application, like Stickies?

Comment

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
There are many, many, many other Markdown editors that are better than this and are at the same price point. Everyone makes their app minimal, clean, and fullscreen. It's a standard of the format.

I don't understand why a struggling company like RM bothered.

Comment

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
There are many, many, many other Markdown editors that are better than this and are at the same price point. Everyone makes their app minimal, clean, and fullscreen. It's a standard of the format.

Yeah, it's definitely an oversaturated market for markdown apps. I personally prefer iA Writer since I can sync my notes across iOS and OS X.

Comment

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
I'm assuming someone forgot to write "Sponsored Post" in the title, because I can't fathom why else MR would be reporting on the release of a second-rate word processor.

Comment

chr

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
So many Markdown editors, so few people who actually use them in the world.

How is this a profitable market to enter?

Comment

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
No, I don't think so.

It seems like it's both too much and too little to be a text editor (the kind of program code is written in, examples are Text Edit, Notepad++, and Sublime)

But it also seems too little to be a word processor (the kind of program in which you write something that you plan on printing out, examples are Pages and Word.)

It's quicker once you get used to it. When you need to do a header, it's just typing a #, or when you need to italicize something, it's a *, and so on. It's designed so you can format things as you're writing and do less of having to stop and select, then hit the shortcut or find whatever in the toolbar.

There are variations like Fountain where it does the heavy stuff for you. In Fountain's case, you just write, and then out pops a perfectly formatted script.

It makes meeting standards easier too. If you've ever written in a WYSIWYG editor and looked at the source, you might see empty containers for something you erased. Markdown eliminates that problem.

It doesn't replace Word, and it's not trying to. It's just a better format for those of us who want to write and nothing else.

Comment

r3loaded

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2008
So apart from background music, what does this do that Vim doesn't for writing Markdown?

Comment

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

Nope. Nothing at the moment comes close to Microsoft Word for me. I will try Typed out though, I'm always interested in trying out new software. Especially software that'll help be release more books.

Comment

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here

I agree. For half the price Write is tough to beat.

----------

Nope. Nothing at the moment comes close to Microsoft Word for me. I will try Typed out though, I'm always interested in trying out new software. Especially software that'll help be release more books.

Do you use the Mac or PC version?

Comment

Shunnabunich

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Yeah, it's definitely an oversaturated market for markdown apps. I personally prefer iA Writer since I can sync my notes across iOS and OS X.

Yeah, I use Byword for the same reason. I can pick between local device/drive storage, Dropbox and iCloud sync, and the Mac version has a "no distractions" fullscreen mode, focus on current paragraph, etc. Typed doesn't seem to bring anything new to this ridiculously specific niche market, from the article's description, aside from the dubious "feature" of also sharing some Realmac developer/designer's taste in ambient music with you…?

Comment

andrea81

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2013
So... on my Mac I have iA Writer (bought out of curiosity for 99 cents, it totally conquered me), Writer Pro (bought out of trust for the guys... utterly pointless), Ommwriter Dāna II (it was just 2 bucks)... I know people love Byword and other similar ones... is this just yet another one?
I'd love if someone made one of those with native LaTeX support for those of us that need it to write scientific papers. Yes that's a niche, but these programs already look pretty niche-y to me.

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
RM core products are quite good, i.e., RapidWeaver but they've had quite a history of launching new apps / buying apps that are 'me too' - such as this, or last only 12 months before being canned.

Comment

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
*cough* Byword *cough*

But yeah, for those of you who question why there's a need for such software, I can tell you I love working in raw text and then having the option to move to whatever platform I like easily. Two years ago I didn't get it either, but these days, you'd be hard pressed to get me to work in that unforgivable bloatware that is Word. It's pretty much relegated to layouts for me. I create my content in raw text.

In Byword, FTW. ;)

Comment

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
I wish this was a LaTeX editor instead, as I write nearly all my reports and important documents using that (with Sublime Text and the LaTeXing plug-in). At least I'll never touch Word or Pages again.

Comment

andrea81

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2013
I wish this was a LaTeX editor instead, as I write nearly all my reports and important documents using that (with Sublime Text and the LaTeXing plug-in). At least I'll never touch Word or Pages again.
Ah, so there would be a market for at least two users :)

Didn't know about the Sublime plugin... interesting, I'll try it. I use TexShop currently.

----------

*cough* Byword *cough*

But yeah, for those of you who question why there's a need for such software, I can tell you I love working in raw text and then having the option to move to whatever platform I like easily. Two years ago I didn't get it either, but these days, you'd be hard pressed to get me to work in that unforgivable bloatware that is Word. It's pretty much relegated to layouts for me. I create my content in raw text.

In Byword, FTW. ;)
couldn't agree more.

Comment

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
We're starting to get quite a few minimalist overpriced apps, but I can excuse one for Markdown as nice looking as this. :)

Edit: Forgot about Byword! :p Again, so many to keep track of... Omm Writer, Dana, WriteRoom, ...

Comment

spacemanspifff

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
SPACE
This...

http://macdown.uranusjr.com

Also while we are promoting minimal software - I am writing a little app to store all those logins you need to be able to access the net these days. It's like a really minimal 1Password.

Anyone interested in helping to beta test it or interested in buying it when it's ready to go - it will only be about $2.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 19.22.47.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 19.22.47.png
    75.4 KB · Views: 111
Comment

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
No, I don't think so.

You generalize from one case. Also you don't know what you're talking about. Lots of big writers use markdown editors.

----------

I love foldingtext.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.