RealPlayer, Flash, WMV on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yixian, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Yixian macrumors 65816

Is it reasonable to think that the iPhone will at some point be able to play such files as RealPlayer, Flash and WMV? Currently the lack of, for example, RealPlayer playback makes the iPhone, an otherwise ideal mobile internet radio, unable to stream many popular stations.

If these aren't going to come officially, could they ever come from 3rd parties when the SDK opens up in Feb?

2. pamon macrumors 6502

see flash probably sooner than wmv support and definately more remote than the realplayer... real's never been a 100% apple player, but maybe with the SDK kit, they'll put something together.

3. The Phazer macrumors 68030

One would hope that since Realhelix is an open format once the SDK hits someone will put together something that allows it to be listened to on iPhone - being able to play the BBC radio streams or something would be great.

I really hope Flash will come eventually.

I'm not holding my breath for WMV.

Phazer

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I imagine some third-party developer will create it, since it would be a welcomed application.

In the interim, you can use a program like VisualHub (on the Mac) or a variety of Windows apps to convert existing files to .mp4 format and sync/play them.

5. eslamkhattab macrumors newbie

6. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Real player? I think you should contact National Geographic, or maybe The Smithsonian. They have been searching for the ever elusive Real Player creature.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

RealPlayer Format - Terrible
    Flash - Terrible
    WMV - YMMV

8. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Didn't BBC put out an app?

Regardless, just googling "BBA radio stream app" got me a page about listening to the streams on the iPhone.