realplayer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rowf, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Rowf macrumors regular

Hi, I've just installed realplayer so that I can stream films from a site called Folkstreams.
    The site gives the choice of mpeg4 or real format to stream in which is why I have installed realplayer as quicktime doesn't seem to recognise mp4.
    Realplayer works fine and I have no complaints but I was wondering if it is the best option or is there a way to make quicktime work for these streams.
    I also tried vlc but the stream was very blocky and continually buffered.
    The other thing is, realplayer asked for my admin password to install the downloader agent, is it wise to allow this?
    It seems to go against the advice I have read previously on keeping the macbook secure.

2. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I've just visited the site, and I can apparently stream any film on there without RealPlayer installed at all. I do have Quicktime and VLC installed, but I didn't have to use those programs separately. Safari uses the codecs from one or the other directly in the browser window.

I'd uninstall the RealPlayer application if I were you, to be honest. RealPlayer tends to try to send ads to you and continually attempt to update itself (often failing in that process).

3. Rowf, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011

Rowf thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for taking the time to try it out.

I've uninstalled realplayer and tried again, just leaving vlc installed.
    It doesn't play in the safari browser window though, I have to download the ram file and the open it up in vlc and the stream is very jerky and blocky whereas in realplayer it was smooth with no buffering.
    The mp4 stream won't play at all.
    Is there anything I can do to get 'round this without using realplayer?
    I'm using snow leopard with a recent macbook if this helps.
    I've also looked at an open source player called Miro, has anyone any experience with this?

Thanks