Realy in trouble... (MBP won't boot)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BoonDockSaint, Oct 14, 2013.

1. BoonDockSaint macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I have a big problem.
    My Macbook can´t boot, and i have tryed almost everything.
    I have tryed to insert the install CD to repair the disk but the result is the same.

There for. How can i get to my data and back them up? As i see it there is no tool to back up un my CD and i don´t have Timecapsuel...

Best regards

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

So you installed a restore DVD and nothing happened?
    What MBP do you have?

3. BoonDockSaint thread starter macrumors newbie

No, i didn´t reinstall from the DVD. If i do that, i will loose all my data, so i need a way to copy my files before i reinstall.

It is a 3, 5 year old MBP 17"

4. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Ouch... from the way you wrote 3.5, I'm guessing you're in Europe (at least, not in the States). Do you have an apple store available to you.

Did something spill on your MB? Seems like a common fix for spills is to let the laptop dry - upside down - for a few days and attempt to boot.

5. cammykool macrumors regular

i think he ment to say 3,0 the model/generation of the laptop

6. durkkin macrumors regular

With the spelling errors and comma use I'm going with sarakn on this one.

OP, if you were unable to repair the disk using the install CD it is very possible that there is something wrong with the drive itself. Could be anything from a loose HDD cable to a failing drive. Does the drive seem to spin or make any sort of sound when you try to boot up or repair disk? Since you said you tried to repair disk, I'm assuming you have access to Disk Utility, which means you can try to clone your HDD onto an external disk so you don't lose anything.

7. b06tmm macrumors regular

b06tmm

Download and boot a Linux Live CD/DVD. You should then be able to copy your stuff to an external drive.

8. raptor402 macrumors 6502

First, lets get some basic information:

1. How far into the booting process are you able to reach (i.e., grey screen, grey screen with apple logo, nothing at all)
    2. When you try booting while holding the option key, do you see your boot drive listed in the boot menu?
    3. Do you have any reason to believe HDD failure (clicking/chirping sound, no spin up, etc.)?

Since you've already tried repairing the disk via the disk utility from the Install Disk, I'm assuming the drive is visible in the laptop. If your data is top priority, I'd recommend you do what was suggested above: make a live Linux disk / USB drive and use that to copy your files onto an external drive. However, I'm not whether Linux supports HFS+ or not.

I hope this helps.

Regards
    Raptor