Reamping Guitar

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by firestarter, Oct 29, 2010.

1. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

OK, I'm just looking for some opinions out there.

I'm recording guitar into Logic, mainly sitting at the computer and getting my sounds using a Guitar Rig 4 plugin.

I'd like to take my raw recordings and do some re-amping (since I have an Orange Tiny Terror amp, that sounds great but I can't really run at full recording volume in my house).

My plan is to use my MacBook, USB interface and re-amp through the TinyTerror, recording the speaker back using an SM57. Latency doesn't worry me, as I can fix timing later.

My question is... should I use a re-amping box with a transformer to hook my audio interface back into the guitar amp? Collective wisdom on the 'net seems to think that I should get a re-amp box, but I can't see why. My audio interface outputs a perfectly good unbalanced signal, I can turn it down to guitar levels and I shouldn't get ground loops, 'cos the MacBook will be on battery.

Any comments?

2. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I haven't used one, but I have tried reamping without the special box, sounded like crap. Basically those box treat the signal so it resembles the impedance, voltage and amperage of a guitar, not that of a line out. Your amp sounds the way you are used to with a guitar signal. Try your usb box, if it sounds good then you're good to go, I found it doesn't then you know what to do.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i've reamped using a line-level signal directly from my converters. sounded fine to me.

4. firestarter thread starter macrumors 603

firestarter

Did you have a volume control on the output of your interface which you could turn down to a guitar level?

I can understand why things would sound bad if you tried to do it with a line level signal. I think the impedance matching stuff is an 'old wives tale' - after all, most pedals have buffers in them, so people run low impedance stuff into amps all the time.