Reapplied Thermal Paste on 2010 MB!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AlphaDogg, Oct 29, 2010.

1. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I have a similar thread in the MBP forum, but is about a different computer that I own. Do not confuse the threads please.
    I was given a 2010 MB that had coffee spilled on it. I took it apart, and consequently had to reapply thermal paste. In the end, this disassembly was in vain, because the problem was within the video cable being corroded.... Anyway, back on topic... I applied some Arctic Silver Ceramique that I had from reapplying paste on my old 2007 MB. I was noticing a significant difference in temperature between the MB and my MBP. (I just reapplied paste on my MBP about an hour ago...) The MB runs at 105ºF while surfing the web and about 175-185ºF under load. This temperature that I am mentioning is the temperature of just the CPU die. But, I was noticing that the entire MB was warmer, instead of just one part being hot. This is a result of better heat dissipation. The fan is at about 3200rpm under load at 175ºF. I apologize that I do not have any pictures or any original temperatures to compare it to, as it was not functioning before I took it apart (and thus reapplied thermal paste).
    But, if you like, you may look at my thread about reapplying thermal paste on (in?) my 2010 13" MBP, located here.

2. happle macrumors 6502a

175-180 under how much of a load? 105 while surfing seems good tho. but nice job. after how long do you recommend one reapplies the thermal paste. i was told 3 years or so

3. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Under 2x "yes > /dev/null" processes, to max out the processor. I have actually gotten it down to 97ºF while surfing (CPU temp), because I reapplied once again, because I was bored. I recommend reapplying paste if you find your temperatures to be unacceptable.