Reapplying screen protector to replacement iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by trek360, Mar 22, 2012.

1. trek360 macrumors 6502

Unfortunately my new iPad has to be replaced at the genius bar. I had already applied a power support crystal protector to it. The replacement ipad came in and I'm going in tomorrow to exchange mine.

What's the best timing and method to salvage a screen protector?

Is it better to take it off before I return it and then reapply in the comfort of my home? Or should I take it off at the store and just apply it right there in the store?

I'm hoping to minimize dust during the reapplication and not have to shell out $$$ for another one.

Thanks!!!!

2. xraytech macrumors 68020

You will need scotch tape, a spray bottel and a clean kitchen sink.

- Fill your CLEAN kitchen sink to about 2-3" of water.

- Use scotch tape to peel the screen cover off and while doing that, spray water on the contact side of the protector.

- Dip the protector into the sink with the contact side down. REMEMBER!!! CONTACT SIDE DOWN!!!

- Now go exchange your iPad.

- To reapply, just apply the screen protector while it's wet. REMEMBER WHAT SIDE IS THE CONTACT SIDE!!!

The water keeps the dust from settling on the protector. I've done this numerous times with Power Support screen protectors and it never fails.

3. trek360 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Xraytech!!!

A wet install makes me a bit nervous by glad to know its worked for you. A couple questions...

Does it leave any water marks when it dries? We've got a lot of hard water in my area.

I won't be able to come straight home after I pick the replacement up. Will it be ok to soak for a few hours?

I'll give it a try.

4. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

If you're worried about water spots then use distilled water.

5. xraytech, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

xraytech macrumors 68020

It should be fine soaking fr a while.

Yikes, hard water can be an issue.

6. trek360 thread starter macrumors 6502

It worked well overall. I ended up using distilled water and there are no spots. I also used a piece of wax paper as a backing while I was reapplying it. It's not as pretty as straight out of the package but it looks good and I'm happy I was able to reuse it.

Thanks for the tips!