Rear audio output jack died

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tribe3, Oct 27, 2008.

1. tribe3 macrumors 6502

I'm out of warranty. I looked behind and it looks difficult to reach in order to replace it. Is there a sound card that I can pop in one of the PCI slots?

Thanks

2. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

First be sure that it is dead, move the connection around incase anything has simply come loose.

Not sure about PCI options, but USB audio interfaces are available:

eg the Griffin iMic

3. margie684 macrumors newbie

Yea ive had this problem with a few computers in my time, a slight tap could do the trick if it has stopped working :D

4. pprior macrumors 65816

Mine was like that within the first 6 months I had it. THe apple store said you have to swap out the whole motherboard (logic board for apple folks) to fix it.

Mine works if I put slight lateral tension on it, so I have my speaker cord taped to the side just a bit. Ghetto esp for a mac pro, but I haven't had time to take it in and lose access to my computer for the days/weeks that it would take. I plan on doing so over Christmas break.

Try pushing slightly to the side at hte jack where it inserts into the machine and see if that works. If so, just get some tape :)

5. tribe3 thread starter macrumors 6502

If I play with the jack it works... I'm using an old iMic I found around and it works, but I'll be looking for a PCI-E sound card or something internal. Sucks for a MacPro to have such a cheap jack.

6. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

yeah my 2.66 has recessed headphone and line out jack pretty ridiculous, they wouldnt change out the front headphone panel (under warranty) since it works even though my headphones slip out easily. (i noticed this prior to ever using it.)

7. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

You might be able to just replace it if your good with soldering.:eek:

8. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Or try to open it up and bend back the loose conductor.

9. pprior macrumors 65816

I think it's not the inside connections but the jack itself at least in my case because even very slight tension will allow it to function, certainly not enough to bend the interior wires.