Rear Cases That Are Compatible with the Smart Cover

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Macostendoto, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Macostendoto macrumors member

I'm planning on protecting my iPad 2 with a Smart Cover+rear case.Can anyone suggest some quality cases for this use? Thanks.

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I do not know the answer and also would like to know it.

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I would think some type of skin would work best.

4. joltaxt macrumors regular

You're going to buy a smart cover only to add all of that bulk to the back? Talk about building the quintessential counterproductive iPad

5. Saberj macrumors regular

Some people are interested in getting cases for more than just fashion appeal. Shocking revelation, I know, but some people are actually interested in protecting their $500+ investment.

6. diacritic macrumors regular

Corrected. An apple ipad is not an investment. (On the other hand Apple Stock is....)

7. Saberj macrumors regular

I don't know about you, but I consider the entertainment value of the device enough to make it an investment. But either way, it's not a toy. Gadget or Device, sure. But certainly not a toy.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

You are kind of contradicting yourself. If the device has "entertainment value," how can it not be a "toy"? I've enjoyed my iPad & that is continuing w/ the iPad2, but it's still an unnecessary frivolity.

It's also not an "investment," in that to be such there has to be 1) risk of capital and 2) a goal of reward for that risk. When you buy a consumer good you are not risking capital you are consuming it. Big difference. The problem is political gobbledygook has perverted the word to be synonymous with spending money on anything that sounds worthwhile. It's labeled an "investment," when it's not -- it's just spending, but that is a dirty word and "investment" makes people feel better about it. It's why we have such a huge budget deficit.

I understand what you are trying to say -- you want to protect property that cost you a lot of money, probably in the hopes of getting the best resale value possible. And you make an excellent point there. Nonetheless, when you go to sell your iPad2 in 9, 12, 24 months strong odds you will get less than you paid b/c it's a depreciating asset.

9. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

I am looking for the exact same thing. I think the case is going to need to be 3 sided snap on case or the left 4th side very thin. You need the left side to be open for the smart cover to snap on.

I am not sure what we can do at this point. I also wish they made the smart cover magnet on the right side back that way when I open it. It would stick to the back of the ipad instead of hanging.

10. Saberj macrumors regular

Entertainment Value != Toy.

See also Movies, Sports, Video Games, etc.

And like I said, to me, the entertainment value is something I gain. That along with a solid resale value makes it an investment to me. But it's ok that everyone doesn't feel that way. The point still stands about wanting to protect your expensive expenditure.

11. glen e macrumors 68030

Good question regarding back protection.....would like to see a power support film....i,ll start with a smartcover and marware back...

12. joltaxt macrumors regular

Wow chula destroyed saber in this thread. Always funny seeing people get exposed for using words and terms they don't understand:D

13. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I suspect to see something you are seeking from Speck.

14. Mildewy macrumors newbie

But you decided to be a douche anyway...

Not to mention that there is more than a monetary value in investing. If I go to the gym for a better body it's still an investment of my time.

If you're gonna be a hammerhead at least learn the total definition of the word.

15. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

+1

16. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

17. Aqua Bliss macrumors 6502

I've been looking for the same thing and came across this:

http://www.marware.com/ipad-kindle-cases-and-covers/ipad-2-cases/MicroShell-iPad-2-case

It looks like it should be compatible with smart covers. If you look at the front image it appears that the left side case doesn't come all the way up to allow for the smart cover to attach.

Also marware has this one which seems to be the same as the first but with the smart cover built in:
    http://www.marware.com/ipad-kindle-cases-and-covers/ipad-2-cases/MicroShell-Folio-Black-iPad-2-case

I thought about getting just that case (2nd one) but probably the quality of Apple's smart cover is better. Plus it looks like their smart cover has 3 segments, where as Apple's has 4 so it's probably not made to be folded into a stand.

I asked them about delivery and they said available 1st week in April (for both these cases). I will ask if just the case is compatible with smart covers. Looks like it is and will cross my fingers.

18. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

I like the first one... Looks like it'll fit well with smart cover

19. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

Yea it looks like all those will work.
    I got a cheap clear skin and cut the side to allow the smart cover to work until the incipio feather comes out. It cost 12 bucks from handhelsdevices.com and works fine with the cover no problems.

I also got the 40 buck targus case from amazon and put a sliver of a magnet in the inside of he ce to be able to use the sleep wake function.

20. Atrain22 macrumors newbie

21. Tonewheel macrumors 6502a

Gang...

For me, it's all about slick and sleek..and of course, protection. After spending a significant amount of time researching rear skins that work in concert with the Apple Smart Cover, I purchased a carbon fiber rear skin that looks AMAZING, fits to the point it adds virtually no thickness, and works with my black leather Smart Cover.

It's the Smartt Case iPad 2 cover from Moncarbone.(http://www.moncarbone.com) It's 100% pure carbon fiber and sells for $79. I chose the high gloss black finish. They also offer a flat black finish and a luminous silver finish. I can't say enough about the fit and finish. All cutouts match perfectly for switches, cameras, mic, etc. The cool thing about this is that due to its thinness, the Apple Smart Cover magnets work through the carbon fiber, and it attaches strong. If you go to their website, you can navigate to a short movie that illustrates the features of this carbon fiber skin. I highly recommend it.

It came from Taiwan, and I got it in one weeks time.

I looked at all of the other skins. None are as thin as this, as strong (100% carbon fiber), and certainly not as good looking. It definitely gets noticed.